Firewood Box for Carry All

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I purchased a King Kutter Carry All and I'm about to start building a box for it. The main purpose will be moving split firewood from my wood piles to my attached garage. Unfortunately, the garage is short enough that I can't fit the tractor in with the FEL and the carry all, but there's room for the carry all off to side (and not enough room for anything much larger, like a garden cart).

I'm thinking (always a bit scary for me) that if I put some casters on the wood box I'm going to build and structure the bottom like a pallet, I can back in to my garage, lower the box, wheel it off to the side, and then pull in the tractor all the way. I'd basically be using the carry all like a pallet fork. Other times I might want the box firmly attached to the carry all, and I think I could use a few bolts/pins to make that happen.

I've found some casters that can quick release from mounting plates. If I recess the plates a bit on the bottom of the box to keep them somewhat clean, I'm hoping I could use it for other outdoor purposes where the wheels might otherwise get in the way.

Does anyone out there do something like this? Any thoughts?

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
That sounds like a great idea.
The fact they are removable is a very good function.
As long as they are rated for all the weight.
Do not forget to post some pictures.

Ray

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
or just build a frame with casters that you lower the carry-all onto to wheel it around. no casters need be attached to the carry-all.
Hmmm. Yes, that does sound like a good plan. I've been thinking about a FEL dolly--I wonder if it could be designed to do double duty. This will be my first winter with the tractor, but I'm guessing the loader won't be coming off much until mowing season comes back around.

Last edited:

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
I have the bxpanded FEL dolly and it's pretty handy. I think it makes attaching the FEL easier. I should upgrade the casters, though, to make all 4 swivel and lock. I have limited garage space and it would be easier to position the FEL with all 4 casters able to turn. I also have a furniture dolly for the quick hitch and a set of snowmobile dollies for the front blade (not the most stable solution).

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I have the bxpanded FEL dolly and it's pretty handy. I think it makes attaching the FEL easier. I should upgrade the casters, though, to make all 4 swivel and lock. I have limited garage space and it would be easier to position the FEL with all 4 casters able to turn. I also have a furniture dolly for the quick hitch and a set of snowmobile dollies for the front blade (not the most stable solution).

On a off topic note.
I use one of HFs furniture dollies under the front of my rotary cutter inside on a concrete floor. Just back up and drop it on it kinda close when removing implement.
A scrap piece of 4x4 on top makes it level deck. With it and the tail wheel, it is a one hand operation to move the brush hog around. ( don't try to walk across the damn thing though in a hurry. Biggest skateboard you ever saw!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk