Engine Stop Solenoid

jump

Equipment
B-7510 HST
Jun 27, 2015
blanco, tx, usa
I'm working on a B-7510 HST for a friend of mine whose tractor was submerged in a flood. I cleaned it up, changed all of the fluids and filters, cleaned out the fuel tank and greased any fittings I could find.

The tractor fired up and ran fine for a couple of days and then wouldn't start. My buddy changed the fuel filter again so I figured the system needed bleeding. When we went to try starting it one more time the Engine Stop Solenoid, mounted on the back of the injection pump, smoked big time and got hot ~~ burnt up.

I haven't pulled it off yet: there are 2 mounting bolts externally but is there anything inside that needs to be taken loose? I assume I should be able to start the engine without the solenoid in place but what would be the best method to kill it with the solenoid off? Is there away to manually cut off the injection pump?
I would like to start the engine to make sure everything else is working prior to buying a new solenoid.

Also the schematic shows a "30A slow blow fuse" ~ I haven't seen a fuse board so I assume its inline ~~ should it be under the panel or possibly on the engine side?

Thanks.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Check for the large fuse near the starter. Not sure about your model, but the ones I've seen have it in-line on an electrical wire rather than in a fuse box.

The stop solenoid is very water sensitive. I went through three of them when power washing a L3650. Slow learner, I guess.

Anyway, the stop solenoid cuts off the fuel supply to the injectors. It can be operated manually but you may have to leave off part of the engine cowling to give easy access. Just pull the lever as the solenoid would and hold it there for a few seconds.

Older tractors sometimes have a rod attached to the stop solenoid that can be pulled from the operator's seat if the solenoid fails. The L3650 had one and it was used until a replacement solenoid was installed.