Engine stop help

Codfish

Equipment
B8200
Jul 10, 2021
Hudson NH
I have a 1987 B8200 standard with powered steering that we can’t get to run or start reliably. Here is what’s been replaced so far by a non diesel mechanic who assured me he could fix it because he went to “diesel“ school. FYI he was mistaken.
  • Head gasket (machined the head)
  • injectors
  • glow plugs
  • fuel pump ( professionally rebuilt)
  • gas cap ( he said it mattered)
  • Compression unloader cable.
At which point they called and said they give up. So I had a local heavy equipment repair mechanic look at it. He found the if he could force engine stop forward it would run good and strong but when he let off it would die. So we sent it back to the rebuilder to have it checked. But Insuspect it’s something to do with the link age between the cable and the part of the pump which moves forward to allow fuel or backwards to retard the flow of fuel.
None of this work improved the operation, in fact before we sent the pump back it wouldn’t start at all. The other thing that makes we think it’s the travel of fuel kill is that when it did run it would die going up an incline.

do I have a couple of questions.
  1. How do identify exactly which engine it is?
  2. where can I find the manual?
  3. any thoughts on how to fix/adjust it?
We are just waiting to hear back from the rebuilder but I am almost at the point of throwing in the towel on this thing.

Attachments

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My SIL has a similar tractor that had the engine rebuilt by an idiot. While the engine was at the machine shop to correct the first rebuild he made the mistake of having the pump professionally rebuilt at a shop that specializes in such things, and the results were like yours. He then found someone that had a clue and now it runs like new.

Codfish

Equipment
B8200
Jul 10, 2021
Hudson NH
My SIL has a similar tractor that had the engine rebuilt by an idiot. While the engine was at the machine shop to correct the first rebuild he made the mistake of having the pump professionally rebuilt at a shop that specializes in such things, and the results were like yours. He then found someone that had a clue and now it runs like new.
your issue turned out to be the pump Rebuild?