Drain fluid to replace hose?

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I'll be replacing the hydraulic suction hose on my L3400 this weekend. Will I get a lot of hydraulic fluid spilling out when I take off the old (split) hose? Or should I drain down the fluid to a lower level, then add it back when I'm done?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'll be replacing the hydraulic suction hose on my L3400 this weekend. Will I get a lot of hydraulic fluid spilling out when I take off the old (split) hose? Or should I drain down the fluid to a lower level, then add it back when I'm done?
No need to drain the oil for this job, you won't get enough oil out of there to wet your hanky! That hose is well above the oil level.
Ed

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I'm no expert and don't claim to be, but how does the suction hose get oil out if it is above the oil level? (Just to be clear, I am frequently confused).

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm no expert and don't claim to be, but how does the suction hose get oil out if it is above the oil level? (Just to be clear, I am frequently confused).
The suction hose that is being changed here connects the metal suction pipe to the hydraulic pump, the other end of that metal pipe is attached to the bottom of the transmission, below the oil level.
Ed

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Thanks. Figured I had missed something.