Disc max with L3901

Mhebert4224

Equipment
L3901 Shuttle
Aug 28, 2016
Prairieville, LA
Just purchased my first new Kubota L3901 4x4 with loader along with a 5ft orange Land Pride cutter. I put in 7hrs of work on the first day. Cant believe I waited this long to make the purchase. I have 400 acre deer lease with some pasture and overgrown trails. I need to plant 1-2 acres of food plots. Need some advice and direction to either go with a 3pt tiller or a disc/plow. Any suggestions is appreciated. I would go with a 5ft tiller or possibly a 5.5ft disc/plow. In a real world I would get both but I cant only afford one for this season. If I go with a plow. Can my 3901 pull a 6.ft?
Mike

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have a L3700SU and dad has L3800HST which is the equal to yours just minus the computer and we both have 20 blades which are 18 inches in diameter. They are 6'10" and the tractors pull them fine in medium range. We drop the loaders. Dad's does have water in the rears, mine does not have water.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
A lot depends on your soil conditions. If you got lots of rocks then a tiller will beat itself apart eventually.

I think your sizes are about right. I find disking works better if you have a smaller width and pull it faster, but it needs to at least cover the tire tracks. What sort of plow are you talking about? Usually they are referred to by the number and size of the plows.

In my hard soil I always have to run a chisel plow before disking for my food plots, but in soft soils that may not be necessary. Any place that I haven't planted before I run a subsoiler first to pull up roots and rocks and start the initial loosening of the soil.

Mhebert4224

Equipment
L3901 Shuttle
Aug 28, 2016
Prairieville, LA
Looks like I will stick with a disc over the tiller for now. To go outside the tires I will need a minimum of 6ft.
Does anyone use a 3pt hitch seeder? I have pulled an ATV seeder from Tractor supply last year but stripped the gears on it. Not sure if I want to get another one for $150 or get a seeder to fit on the tractor.

Thanks for the feedback! Cant wait to get back on my new toy.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have an L3800HST 4x4 with a FEL. The manual says max disk weight 650 lbs. My disk has 20' blades, weighs about 650 lbs and is 5.5' wide. I found that I could not lift my disk high enough with the factory top link and 20" blades. I purchased an extended top link from Tractor Supply. This solved the problem of it contacting the pavement when I went over a bump. FWIW, I found that removing the bucket while disking makes for a smoother ride. With the bucket on, my rig tends to rock due to the short wheel base. You mileage may vary.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Looks like I will stick with a disc over the tiller for now. To go outside the tires I will need a minimum of 6ft.
Does anyone use a 3pt hitch seeder? I have pulled an ATV seeder from Tractor supply last year but stripped the gears on it. Not sure if I want to get another one for $150 or get a seeder to fit on the tractor.

Thanks for the feedback! Cant wait to get back on my new toy.
I just purchased a 3pt spreader on craigslist for $275. If you can move quick you can get great deals.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I use a 3pt spreader for my food plots. Not many options unless you want to spend a lot of money, especially if you're using seed blends. Just remember that after each use you need to wash it up really good and spray with Fluid Film.

I've got the Land Pride with stainless plate and plastic hopper. Agri Supply sells the same thing under a different name also.

This is something I'm considering possibly buying in a few years to try to get a more even coverage:http://www.garberseeder.com/spreaders.html

Cottontop

Equipment
L3901w FEL, land pride 1860
Jul 29, 2016
Thorsby, Alabama
Just purchased my first new Kubota L3901 4x4 with loader along with a 5ft orange Land Pride cutter. I put in 7hrs of work on the first day. Cant believe I waited this long to make the purchase. I have 400 acre deer lease with some pasture and overgrown trails. I need to plant 1-2 acres of food plots. Need some advice and direction to either go with a 3pt tiller or a disc/plow. Any suggestions is appreciated. I would go with a 5ft tiller or possibly a 5.5ft disc/plow. In a real world I would get both but I cant only afford one for this season. If I go with a plow. Can my 3901 pull a 6.ft?
Mike
I just recently bought the same tractor and cutter. My cousin has a 5ft tiller that I just used to do my food plots and it is the way to go if your soil is not rocky. I just rolled 18 hrs and like you I can't believe I ran my ford 2000 for so many years

Attachments

Nicklentini1

Jul 22, 2016
Loxahatchee, FL
I just bought a 3901 hst last month for my 170 aces in TN for deer food plots. I bought the 5 foot disch harrow but haven't used it yet. I also got the FEL too. I can't wait to do the plots come spring time. I need a dozier to clear out more plot areas too