Cheap and easy counter balance

Oldfarmer

Equipment
BX2670 FEL, MMM
May 7, 2014
Westminster, MD
18 inch concrete form 4 - 80 LB & 1 - 60 LB bags of sakrete concrete mix. 7/8 inch steel round stock for lower hitch arms 2 - 2" x 2" x36" angle iron for upper hitch arm plus 4 - 2' lengths of rebar and some coated fence wire for a total of about 400 LBS. I have a furniture a furniture mover with wheels that I set it on when I remove it from tractor to move it around and install easier. Should have taken some pics with it installed but have my RMM on now.

Attachments

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Neat job.

That reminds me that I've wanted to build a round, horizontal weight that would roll if lowered, and had a dinosaur or bigfoot relief footprint molded into it.

Bruce

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
The real advantage of your design, besides the counterweight issue, is that it is so compact and close to the tractor.

While "close to the tractor" will lose some counterweighting ability, it won't interfere with backing up or rear clearance much. The round corners are so much better than a square prism design.

WELL DONE!

Here are a couple of mine made from old A-frames.

Attachments

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I like it! Been thinking about doing something similar, since I currently use my box blade as a counter weight, and it's unwieldy. I was planning on using a standard drawbar as the horizontal hitch mechanism, captured the way yours is. But hadn't figure out the top link part, where you have a nice, easy solution.

A couple questions, if you don't mind: I don't have any experience pouring concrete--what did you use to mix it and then pour it? Any issues with it seeping out of the bottom or through the side cuts in the tube?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I like it! Been thinking about doing something similar, since I currently use my box blade as a counter weight, and it's unwieldy. I was planning on using a standard drawbar as the horizontal hitch mechanism, captured the way yours is. But hadn't figure out the top link part, where you have a nice, easy solution.

A couple questions, if you don't mind: I don't have any experience pouring concrete--what did you use to mix it and then pour it? Any issues with it seeping out of the bottom or through the side cuts in the tube?
Can't answer your last question, but as far as mixing the bags of concrete, it's pretty easy :D

Dump one or two bags of ready mix concrete into a wheel barrow. Add some water and mix either with a hoe or shovel. I use a shovel, and just shove it underneath the mix, and then push down on the handle. Just keep adding water a little at a time and mix till its the consistency of peanut butter :D

If you have a cement mixer, it's easier. Just dump the bags into the mixer. Turn the mixer on, and then add water till it reaches the consistency you want ;)

With it being the consistency of peanut butter, if you have a couple of small holes in the form, it won't run out :)

Oldfarmer

Equipment
BX2670 FEL, MMM
May 7, 2014
Westminster, MD

Mixed in wheel barrow make just a little wet, just set form on floor with plastic under it. The steel rod had two pieces of angle iron welded to it horizontal to the ground then I bloted the 2 pieces to that at an angle to form the upper third point. Hope that helps. If you don't have access to a welder you can use u-bolts to connect angle iron to 7/8 rod. The pic of form isn't clear but I had to drill the holes for the rod then cut form to insert then lace back up with string. Then on the inside I used masking tape to seal against any leaks. Hope that helps.

Attachments

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Thanks! I think that's all I need to know. Making one of these is definitely on my to-do list. I'm picking up a quick hitch Friday, and will want to base the design on its dimensions to be sure it's compatible.