Changing Rear Tire Tread Width

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
So I have searched and found just a very little info, I understand what needs to be done.. It is the HowTo that is slowing me down

I have a late 90's L3600 the Rear Wheel Tread width can range from 46" to 60" which is really nice, this is done with adjusting the Wheel mounting points and the Wheel Disc's direction..

Questions, that I can't seem to find in the manual or on the net,,

What Jack works best..
Where are the lift points..
I need to take the entire rear end in the air because I need to switch sides to bring the width down from 57" to 47"
Can I simply switch sides..
Do the tires actually need to be dis-mounted and re-mounted ie: take it to the dealer..

Does anyone have a link to actual instructions for lifting the rear end or even better a link to a Vid..

TIA

Yes I understand that normally people want to widen the stance but I am mostly working flat ground and a Gravel road so a more narrow stance will actually make everything work easier...

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
To be honest, if you are not familiar with the procedure, I would recommend having a tire service come out and do it. Filled tires can easily get away from you and you can get hurt.

When we change tires, we use floor jacks under the axles and large heavy duty jack stands. When we were younger, we, two people, would roll the tire from one side to the other to widen or narrow the width depending on the crop and then mount them.

Now on tires that are not too big, we use a cherry picker such as used in swapping engines or the FEL on another tractor.

On bigger tires, I just call the tire service and save myself the headache.

I am not familiar with your tractor, but on some of ours, you can just unblt and flip the inner disk to change tread width, much easier.