Cell phone providers

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - - we have Verizon now too. We still have the prospective Medical School kid on our plan.

That said, I’ve heard good things about Consumer Cellular from a coworker, and know many folks on Tracfone.

Don’t know anything more than it’s worth looking into, and that’s what you’re doing.

Now, if you could tell me how to get rid of the Charter cable connection….:(

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I did not even own a mobile phone until maybe 2 1/2 years ago. I consider this period prior to owning the thing "The Golden Period" when no-one could find me. Humans have existed for millions of years without them and for many being without them would do them good in my opinion. If you desperately need to make a call ask the person next to you for help.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Now, if you could tell me how to get rid of the Charter cable connection….:(
A few options depending on what you are trying to do. Most people need an internet connection, and some form of tv.

For the internet connection, you can use a variety of options including ATT Home Internet or the Verizon equivalent of the Nighthawk MR5100 if you have a good signal in your area. I’m in the middle of nowhere except I have a repeating tower nearby. So, I’m using ATT for my entire house with multiple tvs and up to 7 ipads. Worse case, you keep Charter for Internet only.

Next, there’s tv. There’s literally almost unlimited options. If you are in antenna range, most people can get several channels. https://www.antennaweb.org/ can tell you what is possible including what type of antenna is required. Since most are HD Digital signals, you’ll find that the image quality could very well be better than your cable for the channels you get.

But, if you want other channels, you can stream them with services like Sling or Youtube.tv. Youtube tv has a lot of channels and allows you to “add” them which is basically recording them for you and saving in the cloud. Practically speaking, it’s probably just recording once for a lot of people, but the system works the same. Streamable on smart tvs, ipads, computers, Rokus, etc.

Good luck.

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
Anybody use Consumer Cellular ? Good, bad, other wise ? My verizon keeps going up and I dont use the damn thing except when I travel or emergency's. So the plan said unlimited talk text and 3 GB, I have no clue what that means for 30 bucks a month.. Common smart guys clue me in
To answer your question. I had Consumer Cellular for a while and it worked great in the area I was in. This phone used ATT towers. I don't know if they all do or not. When I moved, ATT service was not good so I changed to Verizon. If you live in a good coverage area for ATT I would highly recommend Consumer Cellular.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
406 what are you talking about sims? I just want a phone when I want to make a call or get one thats all I want.
"Sim" means Sim card. It's a little card inserted into your phone. Some are under the battery, other phones it is inserted into a little tray.

Sim card is whats used for the carrier info, like Verizon, att, sprint..... and is how the providers system knows to send the call/ text to that phone. Network provider will ask for the Sim card serial number when setting up your phone and assigning your number to it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I can't answer about consumer cellular, but see and here them advertised quite a bit on TV and radio.

We use straight talk from wally world. We have had phones set up on att and Verizon using straight talk without issue. Our current phones use ATT towers.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To answer your question. I had Consumer Cellular for a while and it worked great in the area I was in. This phone used ATT towers. I don't know if they all do or not. When I moved, ATT service was not good so I changed to Verizon. If you live in a good coverage area for ATT I would highly recommend Consumer Cellular.
Consumer Cellular works great for me!
Zero issues for two years, both New England and Florida.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Just signed up with Mint Mobile and am waiting for the SIM card. I picked the 4GB/Mo plan for $15 per month. When I retired last month, I kept my iPhone 7. It's unlocked and compatible. Time will tell if it was a good move.

Wifey has been using a Tracfone for many years. She bought one that gives her 4X minutes or something like that for life and is happy with it.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The dependability of your cell service depends upon the towers that your provider uses. There are very few that have their own towers. The actual call is still handled by the same old telephone communications 'backbone' that transports all other calls....yes even landline calls. All towers are connected back to the backbone network by fiber optics.

D

Deleted member 47704

I just switched to T Mobile from Boost I had a grandfathered plan on Boost that was unlimited talk.text data and 50 gb hotspot 80 bucks a month

T Mobile Magenta® MAX 55+

65/month.

Last edited by a moderator: