BX2680 PTO driven Post Hole Digger questions

ScottsBX

Equipment
BX2680, Post Hole Digger, Subsoiler, Piranha Bar, Heavy Hitch Weight Bar
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
This is my first time posting to this forum and I am glad that it is here. I have a two-part question related to using my post hole digger.

I have a BX2680 and using a pto driven phd with a 9" auger.

Despite trying to take small "bites" by going down a foot and popping back up, when the auger gets into our sticky red clay, the auger quickly grabs and runs fully downward before I can stop the pto. Then the tractor can't pull the auger up out of the ground. Anyone else experience this with clay and roots? Should the rear 3pt be able to lift that out of the hole when stuck? I think probably not, but wanted to check. Similarly, when it does get stuck it'll also stop the engine if I can't get to the PTO lever quick enough, rather than break away and spin. Again, probably normal, but I wanted to hear any thoughts from folks who have been using one longer than me!

My second question pertains to the same situation. Once the auger has seized into the clay, the only way to free it, was to rock the BX and the auger back and forth while at the same time, holding the 3-pt lift lever up trying to pull it out. It takes several minutes to finally get it out. But on one of the times it got stuck, and I was rocking the tractor back and forth, I forgot that I had the parking brake on. So I rocked back and forth with the brakes on for about 10 minutes straight. Do you think any damage would have been done to the brakes? All seems ok. Maybe the brake pedal seems to go a little further down before engaging, but I may be wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You need to be taking smaller bites. I believe your 3 point has a 1/4 inch drop so hold up the phd and let it down easily. Do not let it spin itself in. You need to control the rate of feed. There should be a shear bolt to break and not kill the tractor. Take a look at the bolt. You may need to use a grinder to make a weaker place on the bolt so it will shear. There are videos on youtube on how to do this.

Rocking the tractor back and forth is a good way to damage, bend, your auger. Instead get a pipe wrench, not a monkey wrench, to reverse the direction of the auger and cork screw your way out. MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS OFF. Do not do back out the auger with the tractor running as some one might bump the PTO and turn the PHD on.

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
Thanks BigG. I really tried to take smaller bites. Especially after it hung up that first time. But it seems to grab when I get about 2 to 3 feet down. It grabs fast! Thanks for the suggestion about the pipe wrench. That's a great idea! I was trying to figure out a way to reverse it manually, but couldn't think of a good way. A large pipe wrench would certainly give me some leverage. And also thank you for for pointing out to be safe! Thanks again.

molson

Equipment
B2650
Jan 31, 2015
neverland
i had same issue with my bx. what i would do is take a handy man jack ( HI LIFT) and put it under the post hole digger to support it once it started to bite and screw in .

As you said, go slowly, small bites and clear often. There was some slack or give in my 3pt, so even without pushing down on the 3 point lever the digger could bite and pull itself in some but then eventually the slop would take up and it would quit digging down, clear itself and pop out again slightly.

Once the hole was getting on deeper side of the auger, if it got to the point it wouldn't pop itself out and started to bog the engine down, i would switch off the pto and shut the tractor down. Take a handyman jack and jack just enough on it to hold the jack in place - as in not necessarily trying to jack the auger out of the ground. Go as far out on the PHD arm with the jack as you can. Then i'd remove the jack handle, fire up the tractor and switch the pto on again. Since the digger couldn't keep pulling itself down it would clear the auger every time. I never had the problem of not enough torque to turn the auger. Once it is cleared, you could turn off the tractor again and pump the jack once or twice again to help it out if you are still stuck. I hope that makes sense

This way was so much easier than a pipe wrench but either way be very careful

Reactions: 1 user

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
i had same issue with my bx. what i would do is take a handy man jack ( HI LIFT) and put it under the post hole digger to support it once it started to bite and screw in .

As you said, go slowly, small bites and clear often. There was some slack or give in my 3pt, so even without pushing down on the 3 point lever the digger could bite and pull itself in some but then eventually the slop would take up and it would quit digging down, clear itself and pop out again slightly.

Once the hole was getting on deeper side of the auger, if it got to the point it wouldn't pop itself out and started to bog the engine down, i would switch off the pto and shut the tractor down. Take a handyman jack and jack just enough on it to hold the jack in place - as in not necessarily trying to jack the auger out of the ground. Go as far out on the PHD arm with the jack as you can. Then i'd remove the jack handle, fire up the tractor and switch the pto on again. Since the digger couldn't keep pulling itself down it would clear the auger every time. I never had the problem of not enough torque to turn the auger. Once it is cleared, you could turn off the tractor again and pump the jack once or twice again to help it out if you are still stuck. I hope that makes sense

This way was so much easier than a pipe wrench but either way be very careful
Thanks for your reply! That was really good information. A good idea. I've been meaning to get a Hi-Lift anyway! Thanks again for your reply and info Molson.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for your reply! That was really good information. A good idea. I've been meaning to get a Hi-Lift anyway! Thanks again for your reply and info Molson.
I am not sure I understand the suggestion, but if I do, frankly I do not like that idea at all!

Many have reportedly been killed and/or seriously maimed by post hole diggers. Stay well clear or risk the consequences.

As an aside, using a PHD on my BX would be a nightmare for me, as I am used to the foot clutch on my B2910. PTO engagement on the BX is something I dread every time I use the MMM. But we have to work with what we got...

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I use a pipe wrench and a 4ft piece of galvanized pipe to slip over the wrench handle. Turn off the tractor and unscrew the auger.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I am not sure I would even attempt post holes with a BX. Pretty small tractor for that job.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've got a BX22 and it runs the hole digger just fine. You just have to dig, raise and clean, dig, raise and clean often. You'll only screw it in the ground and unscrew it out of the ground once or twice before you'll get the hang of it. I promise its better than the old fashioned hole diggers once you get the hang of raising and cleaning.