Bx24 Backhoe hydro thumb add on??

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
... I have been told the hydraulics of our little giants will not support them...
This I do not understand! When the hydraulics can move the bucket they should be able to move the thumb. Even my B1502 with 2 gal/sec has enough volume to drive a little FEL quick enough.

Or do you mean that you need an extra valve?

carl

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Some of the little BH's are not designed with thumbs in mind and dipper stick failures have been seen. I remember a user on Tractorbynet that had a lot of trouble with it. Probably not a common problem, but the risk is there. Do some research and make your own decision.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Or do you mean that you need an extra valve?
This is what I was refering to. I am not sure about the enginering of it all bit you would think you should be able to tap in to a line and get fluid flowing to operate it.

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
I have seen a few static thumbs over here. Basically you use the bucket and have a thumb that is attached to the stick. It is pinned and holds a static angle to the bucket. What about a grapple that uses the bucket cylinder? Basically the same idea but you change out your bucket for one half of a grapple and the other again is static against the stick.

pictures

Last edited:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Enjoyed the pictures of the mods! I noticed some of your bucket pictures, am I guessing correctly that it's to roll the bucket to the right position automatically by using the switch to stop the hydraulics?

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
That is a solenoid controlled hydraulic selector valve. It will control the grapple using the dump/ curl functions on the handle. When you hold the switch down, and move to dump or curl positions, the grapple opens and closes. with the switch released it functions normally.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I have seen a few static thumbs over here. Basically you use the bucket and have a thumb that is attached to the stick. It is pinned and holds a static angle to the bucket. What about a grapple that uses the bucket cylinder? Basically the same idea but you change out your bucket for one half of a grapple and the other again is static against the stick.

pictures
I used to use a static thumb on a large excavator. Seemed to work very good using the bucket to clamp on. I always believe in the saying KISS.