BX2200D 60" Mower Deck Belt popping off

rderoziere

Equipment
BX2200D
May 3, 2016
Middletown, OH, USA
I used this mower (used) all last summer to cut my grass with a 60" blade - no problems. Now this spring the serpentine belt that allows the 3 blades to rotate and cut grass keeps flying off the pulley(s). I put the belt back in place with a crowbar and then it pops/spins off again within 2 minutes of engaging the pto to cut the grass.

When I remove the pulley covers it looks like one of the pulleys is "loose" or seems to be less taught.

Is this a pulley/cutting blade adjustment, belt replacement, or something else?

RAdeR

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Might be bad spindle bearings, in the loose one. Try wiggling all 3 back and forth motion, if the loose one is noticeably looser, it just may be the cause. Also check spring loaded idler for bearing problem, or frozen movement...:D:D

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I would stop using it right away because there shouldn't be any play in those pulleys and all. Flip it over and have a look make sure none of the bolts on the spindle are loose. I would think you would have heard alot of scary noises before the belt come off. This is your first mow this year have done any maintenance on it since last fall like greasing or sharpening the blades. Usually the belt will come off if they're too old and weak /stretched or they're not put on properly there would have to be a serious problem I would think with the spindle to make the belt come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Good point Dave forgot about the idler pulley and I just greased mine this morning when I put my mower back on. He said he used a crowbar to put the belt back on which is not really a good way because it stretches the belt further than needed.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I had to replace the spindle on my old MTD 42" 2 blade deck and I remember all the scary noise and vibration long before a belt come off, but you never know with these things. Let us know what you find rderoziere !

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Also possible the belt itself needs replacing. If there are cracks or bad sections in the belt or it is stretched, it could jump out.

After 10 seasons of use I noticed some slippage on mine due to wear and stretching. While it never jumped, there was some cracking that would eventually have led to such. Replacing the belt made a big difference.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Had the same issue with one of hours and the attachment bolts had loosened allowing the spindle to tilt and allow the belt to ride off the pulley. It could also be a bad bearing in the wheel.

Don't use a bar on the belt, just unhook the very strong idler spring.