BX2200 turns over but won't start

shufy

Equipment
2000 Kubota BX2200
Oct 13, 2009
Salem,NH
I have a 2000 Kubota BX2200 with about 275 Hrs and IT has served me well for several years, but is now giving me troubles. The tractor will turn over and if I hold the key to the start position, seems to run/start, but as soon as I let the key return to the on postion, the engine dies and will not stay running. I have replaced the fuel filter and have removed the fuel stop solenoid. It appears that the solenoid retracts when the key is turned to the on position. I have also tried bleeding the injectors, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Can anyone help.
Thanks...

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey shufy welcome aboard dude! Kubota hates to hear this because of the possibility of engine run away but crank using a starting fluid ( ether if you can find it ) remove the air cleaner cover but not the filter and spray the mist into the housing while cranking and see if it runs after releasing the key as long as you spray the air inlet housing. Don't preheat and disconnect the glow plug lead on the battery side so there is no chance of explosion. ( just back the nut off the rack and tape the lead up) If it races immediately stop you have found your problem :D no fuel is being injected into the cylinders. Another item to look for is fuel in the oil (crankcase) see if an injector tip is frozen in the discharge position. Make sure the fuel shut off solenoid is not grounded. In the start position its relaxed (the stem is loose ) when you turn the key off is when the coil pulls the rack shut and should relax again in two seconds. Be safe and chock the wheel make sure you are in nuetral with brake set on this model. One last question to you :cool: did you have fuel from the HP injection lines when you bleed the air? Do you have return fuel going to tank?

shufy

Equipment
2000 Kubota BX2200
Oct 13, 2009
Salem,NH
Hi ob1kubota,

I ended up ordering the shop manual from Messicks and have pretty much tried everything except for the ether and havn't had much luck (other than getting pricing on a new tractor). Do you know if a model year 2000 BX2200 had a timer relay, and if so, where it might be located? All of the parts breakdowns show it mounted on a stud on the firewall just to the left of the flasher. All I have is a rusty stud where it would have mounted and its connector that branches out of the harness. Any guess?

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Shufy when you get the WSM turn over to the electrical section and the one line diagram for the starting system ( you will see this when you open the section up) and if a relay was on that stud, it will be on the diagram but won't show the physical location. You would almost have to have a picture of an OEM example to see if they located it there and the fact a loose connector is hanging there you may be spot on man...:D

fytnfyr

Equipment
Kubota BX2200 with Snow Blower
Jan 4, 2014
Lake Tahoe, California, USA
This is an old post and I'm a new user, but I had the exact same problem....Engine cranked over nicely and would run as long as I kept the key turned, but when I released the key, the tractor shut down immediately. I found the fix on another site and thought I'd post it here for others.

My problem was the battery. The tractor is new to me so I had started the it several times with no problems just to be sure it was mechanically sound. But I never let it idle long enough to recharge the battery. Eventually the battery needed to be charged.

Evidently, the problem was that there was enough battery juice to start the engine but not enough to keep it running. I put my truck battery in the tractor and now it's running like a song!!

Hope this helps for others! Good Luck.