BX2200 Fan Protection

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Quite some time ago I indicated that I'd post my homemade BX2200 fan protector at the next hydraulic change. Instead of searching for the very old thread, here is a new one. In fact, I'm not sure this is the website. (This info will be copied/pasted to the other forum that I visit.)

The device is made out of expanded metal with the little openings oriented so that sticks are discouraged from poking through when moving forward. When you look at expanded metal you will see that one edge of the openings are higher than the other edge.
>A piece of expanded metal 36" x 14" is used. I used the smallest openings that still give a sturdy structure.
>The 14" width will fit on the frame side-to-side.
>The 12.75 width on the rear bent area is necessary to clear the frame and avoid the rear brake rods.
>The bends are different angles so that the very end section tucks up in front of the transmission and protects the filter. That way sticks that may catch and bend the protector are avoided when in reverse.
>If the MMM PTO shaft is used then the rearmost portion can be cut in half to only protect the filter.
>Another 4" or so could be added to the front of the protector but a thin section will need to be cut out to allow the steering rod through.

For securing to the tractor.
>Six nuts were welded to the inside of the frame. (Note: The nuts had a bolt in them when welded to hold the shape as well as possible. A slight warping is fine since it acts to grab the bolt like a lock nut when the protector is installed. Chasing the threads with a tap is also an option.)
>The protector was held up and where the nuts lined up the protector was marked.
>A hole was cut in the expanded metal and a washer tack welded over the hole.
>Any reasonable sized nut/bolt will do. I chose one that a 14mm socket would fit onto the head. A 14mm socket is needed for front axle service, too.

If care is taken, the hydraulic filter can be removed by bending the protector slightly (but wear gloves!)

We have orchards that are pruned. The prunings are mowed/mulched with the BX2200 and a Bush Hog. No problems yet.

Attachments