BX2200 A couple issues

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Hi all. Just got a used BX2200. Works great, but like all used stuff I have a couple items to address with it. I’ve done quite a bit of automotive work/repair but this is my first tractor.

1. Sometime when I turn the key to start it, it just clicks. I can hear the glow plug cycle. The starter on it is new and if I jump the starter with a wire it turns over and starts immediately. If this was a vehicle I would say the starter relay/solenoid was bad. Does my tractor have one and if so where is it located? If not, any idea on what could be causing this?

2. Been using it quite a bit the last few days. When I went to start it yesterday it turned over slower than normal. Sounded like a low battery. I don’t know the battery age etc. Am I correct in assuming there is an alternator of some kind that charges the battery while running? I am going to put the battery on a charger and see how it does, but I want to make sure the starting system is good. I will be using it in the winter to plow snow and I know from my diesel van that it is important to have the starting system in good shape when it’s cold out.
IMG_3365.jpg

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As far as the possible battery issue, it's pretty much like a car. Charge the battery and get a load test. Clean the terminals on the battery and the cables. Be sure the frame ground is clean and tight.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just a guess that both #1 and #2 could be the same issue - - poor battery or connections. Roadworthy covered that well.

Probably what you hear clicking is the electric fuel lift pump when you're going to start it.

Go to http://kubotabooks.com/ and get a workshop manual (WSM) for it.

I believe the BX2200 still had a dynamo instead of an alternator. Many think it's a water pump, but it doesn't have hoses hooked to it.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Just a guess that both #1 and #2 could be the same issue - - poor battery or connections. Roadworthy covered that well.

Probably what you hear clicking is the electric fuel lift pump when you're going to start it.

Go to http://kubotabooks.com/ and get a workshop manual (WSM) for it.
Thanks.

I looked at the battery connections and they looked clean, but I will take them off and clean everything up. I will also clean up the grounds. Looking at the schematics it looks I see 2 of them. One from the battery and one from the starter.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
One possibility that has come up in the past for the BX's as well as other brands is a mod for the starter relay. Various places to get a kit or make your own . Amazon https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx2200-a-couple-issues.46925/
This^^^

I don’t have a link handy but it is pretty well documented that the safety contacts in the starter solenoid circuit on the BX 2200, and other BXs, and other tractors as well, start to develop resistance, and then they drop enough voltage across them that the starter solenoid will not activate properly.

The solution is to use a relay between the safety circuit and the starter solenoid. The safety circuit activates the relay, and the relay contacts activate the starter solenoid. This is a proven fix. I had the same issue with my BX 2200. After a couple years of dealing with intermittent starting, I installed a relay and have not had one starting issue since.

I know there are threads on this issue at TBN. Probably here too.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
The original BX2200 had a dynamo that would charge with a whole 7 amps? They made a kit to install an alternator on it. There aren't a lot of safety interlocks, the two that comes to mind are it has to be in neutral and the pto disengaged.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The original BX2200 had a dynamo that would charge with a whole 7 amps? They made a kit to install an alternator on it. There aren't a lot of safety interlocks, the two that comes to mind are it has to be in neutral and the pto disengaged.
Also the directional pedal must be centered... I think that is all there is on my BX2200.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Just an update in issue #1. I picked up a 30A relay at the autoparts store and wired it up for the starter as recommended. So far so good!! The starter has turned over immediately the last couple of days with it.