BX1850 or BX2660 for 5 acres

DavidSO

Equipment
L185DT with FEL
Feb 20, 2024
Southern Oregon
So I landed an older L185DT.

After all the advice here I'd been gravitating to 30-35hp L models above my intended budget, then this thing appeared with a loader and box scraper for a song so I couldn't resist. 650ish hours. Starts immediately, burns clean, clutch and hydraulics all work fine. It needs three or so new hoses but no leaks at this point and the service has been kept up to date. The AG tires are probably original and the rears show cracks but work for now. Someone filled them with water vs. proper ballast so that'll need attention.

The previous owner bought from the original owner a few years ago, but they never got their hobby farm going and decided to completely retire. They let it go for what they paid - $4500. It'll pull the finish mower I'm picking up tomorrow and do the basics for year or two while I watch for something bigger and more modern.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Lots of good advice above, but I'll throw my 2 pennies in.

I also have 5 acres and from the sounds of it, a "similar" set up to the OP.

Before I decided to get the L2501 my wife talked me into a Home Depot " tractor" for grass cutting, so that was not a real concern for me. (She does the mowing, and still calls it her tractor 😂 (y)....)

I am of the "dissenting opinion" on the PHD (kinda). I have one and it is kind of a pain to hook up and store, and it is not as nice as a front mounted one. However, I dug 120 holes for a guy and made 500 bucks in 2 hours. So it has basically paid for 1/3 of itself. I have more projects to do with it and I like the convenience of having it "at the ready". So for the G-note I have into it, it's ok.

Having a FEL with SSQA is "life altering"........and I do not mean that "tongue in cheek", It has actually changed the way I look at life, and do things......I do not even remember life in the year 2020 B.T. (Before TLB)..................Get a loader, no matter what.....And don't forget the forks.

Overall, I am very, very happy with my L2501 TLB, and I am not worried about "outgrowing" it any time soon.

I know guys like their B's, but I am stuck on my L.