BX 1870 PTO Engage Lever Stuck

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
I can't seem to move the lever that engages the PTO on my BX1870. The lever that selects Front/Mid/Front and Rear works smoothly.

I can't see anything that's blocking the lever from moving.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If it is like my L2501 you need to put some PB Blaster down each end of the cable.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
the bx does’t have a cable, the lever is directly connected to the the valve shaft, try spaying Blaster on the shaft where it goes into the housing. The mechanism is simple, its sort of like turning on a faucet valve to pressurize a cylinder that engages the pto clutch.

You have not used the PTO in a while?
Store the machine outside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
I haven't used the PTO lever since I finished mowing in September. I always store the tractor in the garage.

Do I need to remove the tire to get to where the shaft goes into the housing?

the bx does’t have a cable, the lever is directly connected to the the valve shaft, try spaying Blaster on the shaft where it goes into the housing. The mechanism is simple, its sort of like turning on a faucet valve to pressurize a cylinder that engages the pto clutch.

You have not used the PTO in a while?
Store the machine outside?

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I haven't used the PTO lever since I finished mowing in September. I always store the tractor in the garage.

Do I need to remove the tire to get to where the shaft goes into the housing?

No, it’s easy to get to it. It’s in the side if the tranny just above the frame, conveniently towards the back. You can get to it from the back. You can see the lever arm coming down to it.

Here’s a pic.

The PTO lever is the long flat curvy black metal thing that ends with 2 bolts connecting it to a bracket on the end of the shaft. (in the center of the pic) The shaft goes into the case right behind the blue bracket that the black lever is bolted to. Spray some WD or Blaster behind that bracket and leave for a while.
Try again in a day. Let us know if it’s fixed.

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I have wheel spreaders on, so have more room next to the tire.

My tractor looks a lot more dirty in this pic than it does in person. I wipe down the dust build on most of the stuff I can reach once in a while with a rag, guess the flash makes the dust show up more.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
this stuck lever problem is not serious, the WD 40 will fix it, but you do need to move all your levers once in a while, especially the 3 pt speed valve knob,

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
i was going to say move your pto lever and watch what moves back here, so you can see where to squirt to get it unstuck. Then I realized how stupid that was before I sent it.