bucket hooks on BX25D

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Just got done with the install and the paint is still wet. I wasn't real happy with my welds. Back in the day of being a truck shop mechanic at the saw mill, I did A LOT of welding on the log loaders and was much better back then. Still, for just using a 40 year old Sears buzz box that I got from my dad, all in all, not to bad.
I first boxed in the top of the bucket with a piece of 1 1/2 by 1/4 flat bar. Should have no problems with it bending if a chain is over the top and should make everything a wee bit more sturdy. I welded the grab hooks on 1/4 flat bar and then welded them on the bucket. Some would say they should be in line with the tilt cylinders but with a lifting capacity of 750#, I think I'm OK.
Next I wanted a slip hook in the middle for ropes and such but also wanted to incorporate a ball to move the boat and trailer around. Then it hit me, I can use a ball for ropes. Made the mount out of 1/4 flat bar and spacered the ball with washers so there is no interference with the lip of the bucket. I also drilled a hole to mount the ball so I can change sizes if needed.
It will work fine for the boat and utility trailer, I just wonder if it has enough poop to work with my 23ft RV. Anyone know?
Biggest pain was trying to get the underside of the plates painted so I don't have rust runs when it gets wet.
All in all, happy with my first mod.

Attachments