Brush mower oil leak

Roundgunner

Equipment
B21
Aug 24, 2014
norwich, CT
I bought a used in great shape (looked like it was used once) brush mower for use with my B21. It is a Farm Force SE made by Tarter. It looks just like this one.

http://www.ruralking.com/tarter-4-r...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CJqQrYXy788CFVVahgodOJQJ9A

I do some mowing for a man who owns radio towers. I have rented a bigger mower for $150 a day, then I rented this one for $100 and asked if he would sell it, I got it for $300 and have used it 3 times already.

The last time I had it out I noticed it was leaking oil from the horizontal shaft. I have not been able to find a parts list or any information on this seal. I'm going to call Tarter but I'm wondering if any of you have replaced this and where did you get it, part number, any info would be great.

I help with trees too. I have over 40 cord CSS in the last 2 years. I could never do it without the Kubota.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Sounds like you need a seal. You could take it apart, pop out the seal and it should be a stamped with a part number. These gear boxes look pretty generic.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
There's usually an air vent on the gearbox too - but not always. A small leak on the horizontal shaft after full heat-up is usually not serious. It shows there's enough oil in there (possibly a little more than it needs). A leak underneath on the vertical shaft is more important to repair right away - could all leak out and you wouldn't know.

Last edited:

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I filled my old one to the top plug, no problems. With my new Landpride, I fill to the little fill check plug...fills gearbox about half way, I think.
If your vent is plugged, it could build up pressure in the box when it warms up. I would check the vent also.
One thing that is great for checking leaks it parking on a clean cement slab or something like that....back out in the AM and check the spot. Easy. No oil on the slab, no problems.
Good luck.
Pete