Brush hog blade-nut access

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Stubbyie mentioned mowers that have an access hole to get to the blade nut. I decided to put one on my old Montgomery Ward 60" mower. The nut is 1-1/2", the socket is about 2" OD, and the hole saw I used is 2-1/2". The mower deck is 1/8", and I had some junk 1/8" plate lying about, so I used a piece for a doubler. Luckily the height of the nut works out so the shoulder of the socket rubs on the doubled-up wall section - I can put terrific torque on the nut without straining the spindle or gears.
Thanks, Stubbyie!
Just by-the-way, sandblastng and painting the mower is high on the priority list - right behind a new deck on the trailer...

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Did that on my Agri-72 when i first got it. A friend gave it to me in near demolished condition. Sadly after making the effort to resurrect this beast my old cockshutt doesent have a tight enough clutch on the pto to drive it. It likes to slip under heavy loads.

Im certain i will destroy something in the kubota so i wont even consider trying it. Its too light for such a mower