Brush Grubber / Brush puller / Tree Puller

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
From a older topic on here, a you tube video, and some google searches..... I made this brush puller / brush grubber.
It works pretty good..!
The pipe is what really grabs the trees. Stops it from slipping off.
The only way I thing someone could improve on this, it to grind / cut teeth into the end of the pipe where the chain comes out, the end that grabs the tree.
I have been using the front bucket on small stuff. And then hook up to the rear drawbar for larger clumps for brush and a stump I had to pull out.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Looks simple! Nice work!

What's the largest stuff you've pulled with it?

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I made one of those but found it simply snips off the smaller stuff without pulling it from the ground. Works better on the bigger stuff. A $30 pallet puller also works well.

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Looks simple! Nice work!

What's the largest stuff you've pulled with it?
BX 25...... This past weekend, i pulled out a 4-5" tree stump with it. I cut the tree off at about 36" high, and hooked up the grubber just below the cut, had it hooked to the drawbar, pulled it to the left to get it loose, then pulled it out going to the right.

The bucket i use it one only for the small, 1 " , 2" diameter willow trees that were growing in the ditches.

McFarm..... i pulled out some small trees , brush with mine, maybe about the diameter of your fingers, it pulled it up and out.

I would cut that stuff, but then next year, instead of having one tree, there's 3 -4 growing for the cut stump.
Pulling them out is a task , a pain, but there out and don't grow back.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Nice job. But is there any Advantage over a slip hook ?? If there is please explane & if so i need to make. one ??

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Nice job. But is there any Advantage over a slip hook ?? If there is please explane & if so i need to make. one ??
Not sure what you mean by a " slip hook" ..?

The small hook, hooks onto the slot in the pipe, the other hook , hooks onto the strap or bucket.

If i made it over, i'd use a longer length of chain. but this chain is what i had in the garage, its enough, but on some of the larger brush/ multiple stems/trunks, it's tight to get around.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
A slip hook is a open rounded inside it goes over the lenth of chain allowing it to slide through and cinch. Unlike a grab hook you have on both ends of your chain.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Slip and grab hooks have their uses, but I find that a log choker hook works best pulling/skidding trees. I haven't used my tongs in years. I also use a choker cable with a ring for skidding.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Slip and grab hooks have their uses, but I find that a log choker hook works best pulling/skidding trees. I haven't used my tongs in years. I also use a choker cable with a ring for skidding.
Yes a cable will cinch much better then a chain. But they damage easier.

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
A slip hook is a open rounded inside it goes over the lenth of chain allowing it to slide through and cinch. Unlike a grab hook you have on both ends of your chain.
The pipe acts like the slip hook.

The small grab hook can go thru the pipe. The big regular hook can not.

The pipe slides on the chain over the small grab hook, the grab hook goes around the brush / tree that I want to pull out, then the grab hook gets hooked on to the slot in the pipe.
The big hook gets hooked onto the bucket or draw bar.
then the chain slips thru the pipe and tightens up around the tree/brush.
and the pipe's edge / mouth "bites" into the tree's bark.

Pulled quite a few out, only one slipped off.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
The pipe acts like the slip hook.

The small grab hook can go thru the pipe. The big regular hook can not.

The pipe slides on the chain over the small grab hook, the grab hook goes around the brush / tree that I want to pull out, then the grab hook gets hooked on to the slot in the pipe.
The big hook gets hooked onto the bucket or draw bar.
then the chain slips thru the pipe and tightens up around the tree/brush.
and the pipe's edge / mouth "bites" into the tree's bark.

Pulled quite a few out, only one slipped off.
Not quite sold it's any beter then a slip hook. i understand how it's used not sure the pipe grabes the brush any beter then the chain it self? But i'm going to make one & try for my self.