broken tach on 1977 L-245

Hilltop Dan

Equipment
1977 Kubota L-245, bushhop, scrape snow
Oct 25, 2015
EVANS CITY, PA, USA
Hey guys. New to the forum. I have a 1977 L-245. The tach recently stopped working. I read some threads here and checked it by disconnecting the cable from the back of the tach. It does not spin. When I disconnect the cable from the motor it does spin. I guess I need a new cable. Is there any trick to re-installing the cable on the back of the tach unit or just screw it on? The end of the cable just looks like a tightly wound spring (no fitting or anything when I pulled it off). The rest of the guage (hour meter, indicator lights) does not work either but I think that is a different issue since the fuse that feeds it keeps blowing as soon as I replace it. Thanks so much for the help.

Hilltop Dan

Equipment
1977 Kubota L-245, bushhop, scrape snow
Oct 25, 2015
EVANS CITY, PA, USA
Thanks. the motor end had a little metal connector piece that went inside the cable. Nothing on the meter side so just making sure. Do I need to oil the connection to the motor? saw some threads about that breaking. thanks again.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks. the motor end had a little metal connector piece that went inside the cable. Nothing on the meter side so just making sure. Do I need to oil the connection to the motor? saw some threads about that breaking. thanks again.
It wont hurt to hold the cable up and spray some lubricant in it and let it run down. Maybe try and force some grease around the base. Either way it wont hurt it.