BH77 Upgrade

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I just gave my BH77 a blood transfusion and new heart. Nice to have more speed. The tank has a mesh strainer, but I hope to find a way to install a valve and cartridge filter in the suction line with the limited space. I might have to forgo the valve and just drain the tank for filter replacement.
Designed to likely fit an open station tractor with few modifications. Used existing holes and has the ability to easily switch from tractor hydraulics to independent using quick connects. All on UDT. My arse might get a bit warm in the summer, but the Woods ran fine without a cooler.
I am now trying to figure out how to get more foot room for my feet to go more forward without been hit by the hoe. I might have to re-design the boom lock. I was less cramped in my old smaller Woods 650 than in this thing. Can't imagine operating it if I had longer legs. I did raise the seat up a bit from stock.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
For the sake of the slow kids, like me; is the 77 now running off a PTO driven pump?

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Wow! Did you do the fabrication on the plates to extend the mount? The original BH77 foot room is cramped; that looks really tight! Is the speed and power significantly more?

I think that I would upgrade to an excavator before I did all that work; but beautiful job!

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
For the sake of the slow kids, like me; is the 77 now running off a PTO driven pump?
Yes, a 6.8 gpm pump

Wow! Did you do the fabrication on the plates to extend the mount? The original BH77 foot room is cramped; that looks really tight! Is the speed and power significantly more?

I think that I would upgrade to an excavator before I did all that work; but beautiful job!
The plates are what Kubota uses to install the bh77 to a cab tractor. The speed is certainly more which was the objective. I have not used it yet in real work but I expect the power to be the same. The relief settings are factory set.
When I used it for the first time last year I wished that I still had the Woods 650 running on the b7200 with the higher pto speed.
The fabrication work was really not that involved as I used a manufactured 5-gallon tank. I think I spent more time prepping it and painting it. The seat mount took the majority of the fabricating time. Everything made from scrap steel from previous jobs.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That's pretty cool!

If you have more pics of the fabrication that would be awesome.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
This is the tank that I modified for the job. I picked this particular tank as it afforded ample room for my feet as well as having enough room behind it if the bh was installed on an open station tractor without the 9" extensions. https://www.princessauto.com/en/reservoirs/product/PA1000000758?skuId=8318347

I did not take any pictures during the fabrication but have one showing the underside mount.
It was made from a 3" x 3/8" flat bar with "L" brackets welded to the ends. This raises the tank up a bit to clear parts of the floor and allows it to be bolted in prior to installing tank. Uprights were welded to these brackets to rise vertically and give a place to fasten the seat frame to. The seat frame could be greatly simplified by not having the option to tilt the seat up. All this can be removed in about 15 minutes and everything put back to original.

Attachments

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Why not just use the rear remote fittings and do away with the tank et al?

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Why not just use the rear remote fittings and do away with the tank et al?
Your L2800 has considerably more Hydraulic gpm available to run your hoe at good speed. The bh77 hooked up to the power beyond (only option) on the LX supplies dismal speed of the hoe.
From what I can see from the specs of both tractors mine is now about the same speed as yours assuming cylinders are the same size.
Maybe I could have utilized the sump oil in the tractor and plumbed it to the pto pump but not while it is under warranty.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Could you list the part number for those extension plates?

Just curious about the putting a pto pump system on mine. I find it a little slow and a little lacking on power at times.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Your L2800 has considerably more Hydraulic gpm available to run your hoe at good speed. The bh77 hooked up to the power beyond (only option) on the LX supplies dismal speed of the hoe.
From what I can see from the specs of both tractors mine is now about the same speed as yours assuming cylinders are the same size.
Maybe I could have utilized the sump oil in the tractor and plumbed it to the pto pump but not while it is under warranty.
Thank you for the explanation…makes sense now.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Could you list the part number for those extension plates?

Just curious about the putting a pto pump system on mine. I find it a little slow and a little lacking on power at times.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Not sure what the part number is for the 9" extension plates, but I am sure that a dealer would know. They are used when connecting a bh77 to a cab tractor. As I previously stated, I positioned the tank so that it might be able to be used on an open station tractor without the extensions. With the 3ph arms up they should just clear the tank. Not sure about the ROPs mount which might be an issue. I would certainly try to do this without moving the hoe farther out if possible. The pto pump should easily fits under the tank. Hoses would also have to be routed differently.
This 9" extra overhang of the BH is a pain sometimes as it frequently drags on the ground especially when loading onto a trailer. This was a concern of mine when originally ordering the tractor and considered going with an open station and Curtis cab.
As far as power goes, I thought that the bucket curl was a bit weak when I used it last summer for the first and only time. I noticed that its cylinder is smaller than the other cylinders which should not be a concern if the geometry was correct. Frankly my old Woods 650 worked better. It even had more leg room.
I will see how it operates this summer and see if a larger cylinder is warranted.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Not sure what the part number is for the 9" extension plates, but I am sure that a dealer would know. They are used when connecting a bh77 to a cab tractor. As I previously stated, I positioned the tank so that it might be able to be used on an open station tractor without the extensions. With the 3ph arms up they should just clear the tank. Not sure about the ROPs mount which might be an issue. I would certainly try to do this without moving the hoe farther out if possible. The pto pump should easily fits under the tank. Hoses would also have to be routed differently.
This 9" extra overhang of the BH is a pain sometimes as it frequently drags on the ground especially when loading onto a trailer. This was a concern of mine when originally ordering the tractor and considered going with an open station and Curtis cab.
As far as power goes, I thought that the bucket curl was a bit weak when I used it last summer for the first and only time. I noticed that its cylinder is smaller than the other cylinders which should not be a concern if the geometry was correct. Frankly my old Woods 650 worked better. It even had more leg room.
I will see how it operates this summer and see if a larger cylinder is warranted.
Thanks for the info and reply. I guess some measuring is the answer for me too. I was thinking about a curtis cab also. My set up on the L2501 already is with the second seat.

Bill