Battery jump packs

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
What do any of you guys have for battery jump packs? My newest and least favorite battery charger just died and I think a jump pack to start the vehicle and get it to the shop would be handy.
My L3800, B2410 and my Zero turn 724 mower all start great, but my RTV400 I'm sure has a parasitic battery drain and I have not found it yet. So every now and then I have to jump start it.
Any recommendations or sugestions will be appreciated.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have cables and Anderson 350 amp plugs on my vehicles. I still have one of the jump starters just in case.
Shop around, they can be found cheaper. I only gave the link for information.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I have a Die Hard flash light/ jump pack. I’ve used it to jump start an old Cub Cadet garden tractor, a 2017 5.3L Silverado, a forklift, and my brother’s 4010 diesel John Deere tractor. I looked at other jump packs and decided on the Die Hard since it doubles as a very bright LED light.

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I have a Die Hard flash light/ jump pack. I’ve used it to jump start an old Cub Cadet garden tractor, a 2017 5.3L Silverado, a forklift, and my brother’s 4010 diesel John Deere tractor. I looked at other jump packs and decided on the Die Hard since it doubles as a very bright LED light.
I have a solar panel on my Kawasaki Mule 3010, charges outdoors in the Sun. Also can put a battery disconnect. Then work on the parasitic draw.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: my RTV400 I'm sure has a parasitic battery drain and I have not found it yet.
Would need to see the wiring diagram but alternators(muddied ones) are known to drain batteries down, lightly corroded ignition switches will as well. Any 'live' 12v connection with a ground nearby and 'some form of low resistance' could be the parasitic drain cause.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I use a JNC 950 2,000 amp rated which is large enough for any of the diesel engines I have.

Rodger

Jump Carry.jpg

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Has anyone tried the capacitive chargers? They don't use a battery and are supposed to suck out any remaining power from a battery and amplify it.
Here's the type I'm talking about...

That device will work in a very limited set of situations and I wouldn't rely upon it. The "dead" battery needs to be in pretty good shape, just below having enough peak capacity to actually turn over the engine. The super cap is a little vampire that can charge itself over a short time and then release the energy quickly and the combination of what it provides along with the remaining charge in the vehicle battery will be enough for vehicles that crank fairly easily WITH a battery that is in a poor but far from dead state of charge.

It is particularly ill suited to cold natured engines like Kubota which seem fairly reliant upon glow plugs even in moderate temperature. Running a lift pump and powering glow plugs (and/or intake air heaters as used on many emissions diesel engines) prior to cranking mean this type of device is ill suited for diesel engines.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I carry one of these around. Not necessarily this one but like this one. It’s a chinois version and works flawlessly. Have started everything up to an 8.1 vortec with it (RV). Will hold its charge for a year and I’ve tested it. Was less than 2% loss. I paid similar for a smaller “Indian” branded version for the saddlebags on the bikes.
Lawn tractor and bikes are also on trickle chargers because of age and parasitic loss. HF or battery+ for those.
54DECB25-C7AA-4A95-8085-040FEAB5DB76.png