b9200 turf tires

kubotab9200

Equipment
B9200 & G4200
Feb 22, 2014
southbridge ma
i have a b9200 4x4 with 13.6/16 tires in the back. I would like to upgrade to AG tires but from what i read is that i would need new rims as well. If that is the case where would i look to get the correct size tires and rims? Depending on the cost of this setup i have also thought about just putting chains on the turf tires i already have. What would you recommend that i do? How much of an investment am i looking at to switch the turfs for Ag's and it is really worth it. I live in New England and we get a lot of snow here but in addition to snow removal i would also like to use for moving dirt as well as cutting grass with the tractor.

Thanks

kubotab9200

Equipment
B9200 & G4200
Feb 22, 2014
southbridge ma
Just a little follow up.... according to tractor data i would need 12.4x16 for AG's but my question still is do i need new rims or can i use the once that i have on the tractor now. They are 16 inches but i am not sure about the width of the rim and if the 12.4's would fit on them.

thanks

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I've never tried but I'm 95% sure you will need narrower rims for ag tires vs the turf ones.

One thing to consider, I see you're only a little bit away from me in Mass vs CT...I have turf tires on my B9200 and I was offered a set of chains from my dad but there isn't much clearance around the tires and fenders so I opted to just use a weight out back. I have used ag tire machines as well as turf and surprisingly the turfs will do quite well in most conditions....the only place where I have found that they really aren't good is in deep mud/snow. Anywhere else the turfs are as good or even better.

Consider that snow tires have lots of grooves and edges to bite, your turf tires have more contact area and more grooves to bite into ice and snow.

Of course deep snow is similar to mud, ag tires will be better there (and chains will help both mud and snow).

I use my machine for plowing/snowblowing snow, mowing lawn, logging, grading the driveway, moving firewood, digging, and other general projects. Overall turf tires work best as an all around solution for me. I couldn't mow with Ag's....

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
different rims are required , as the attached chart explains.

you may at a real push get a 12.4 ag on a 13.6 turf rim , but there is no way you will do the same trick for the fronts, rims are miles different.

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotab9200

Equipment
B9200 & G4200
Feb 22, 2014
southbridge ma
I've never tried but I'm 95% sure you will need narrower rims for ag tires vs the turf ones.

One thing to consider, I see you're only a little bit away from me in Mass vs CT...I have turf tires on my B9200 and I was offered a set of chains from my dad but there isn't much clearance around the tires and fenders so I opted to just use a weight out back. I have used ag tire machines as well as turf and surprisingly the turfs will do quite well in most conditions....the only place where I have found that they really aren't good is in deep mud/snow. Anywhere else the turfs are as good or even better.

Consider that snow tires have lots of grooves and edges to bite, your turf tires have more contact area and more grooves to bite into ice and snow.

Of course deep snow is similar to mud, ag tires will be better there (and chains will help both mud and snow).

I use my machine for plowing/snowblowing snow, mowing lawn, logging, grading the driveway, moving firewood, digging, and other general projects. Overall turf tires work best as an all around solution for me. I couldn't mow with Ag's....
Thank you for your input. I would have never thought about the clearance between the tire and the fender (until it was too late) and now looking at it i no longer think its an option.
The tires that are on the tractor are close to "slicks" so since i should replace them i thought about getting the AG's or something slightly less aggressive but the breaking point here is the cost especially when i have to get new rims for them. I think im going to keep an eye on some deals on new turfs and go from there.

Thank you.

kubotab9200

Equipment
B9200 & G4200
Feb 22, 2014
southbridge ma
different rims are required , as the attached chart explains.

you may at a real push get a 12.4 ag on a 13.6 turf rim , but there is no way you will do the same trick for the fronts, rims are miles different.
Thank you for your input on this. It looks like i will just stick with getting some new turfs and use the existing rims.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I tried them aswell as being in the uk they would have been a semi-local source, when i said gave them my wheel sizes from my B8200 (same as b9200 etc)they said they were unable to supply anything suitable:confused:

maybe they dont stock a 12" size but 10" is more widely used....who knows:(

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
maybe a better plan to get a good used set of the correct ag tyre/rims for it then you have both option depending on your usage.
good used set will probably workout the same cost as a just getting the new tyres anway.

used wheel/ag tyre combo's can be pickedup over here for just a couple of hundred pounds from my experience.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
having run this through my head again, as i said inmy earlier reply you'll just get your rear ags on the back turf rims, may need a tube in at to make sure it seats on the rims as its a narrower trye.
you'll be neading a 23-8.50 x 12 ag tyre for the fronts if using the turf rim.