b8200 High Pitched noise Intermittent "Rear End" High RPM Eighth Gear

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
I have a high pitched intermittent noise that occurs when I am at about 2700 RPM's and in eighth gear (Low of High Low Option). The best I can tell it is coming from the gears in the transmission.

Are there any gears or shafts that turn quicker when in a higher gear?

Will I be able to pear into the gear cavity by removing the cover between the operators legs?

Any detail would be appreciated.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
You've got a regular manual trans not a glide shift or anything right? 8 forward two reverse speeds? I'll assume that until I hear different.

What gear are you referring to exactly? If the auxiliary transmission is in low then you've got 1st though 4th, in high you've got 5th through 8th. I'm going to assume what you said in your post is correct, you hear it only in 4th gear. When the primary transmission is in the 4th-8th position it's turning the input of the auxiliary transmission the fastest. Since you don't hear it in high if there's a problem it's probably has something to do with the low gears in the auxiliary trans. What does it sound like to you? Tuning fork, a metal on metal squeal, very high pitched gear whine?

I'll comment that I've heard spur gear transmissions make all sorts of odd noises like that that don't seem to be problematic but it's hard to tell not being there to listen to it. I had two motorcycles where the transmission and engine block would sing audibly over the wind noise in certain gear\rpm combinations. Sounds exactly like a very large tuning fork. I took one apart to fix an oil leak and the gears looked immaculate after 4000 known miles making that sound. I just avoided running at that speed.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
The noise was detected when in the low setting in the highest gear. I think that would be four.

It sounds like a roller bearing that is not properly lubricated and occurs intermittently, only at high RPM. It also sounds a bit like the throw out bearing of the clutch assembly. (the sound is clearly coming from the rear, and when I had the tractor split the throw out bearing was fully lubricated and look fine)

I am not able to listen very easily for the location it does not occur when not moving and I do not want to get ran over.

One possibility is that there is too much transmission fluid in the cavity. Any chance you have the capacity?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Not sure I see it being over full causing that but Tractordata.com lists it as 19 quarts but it also lists the transmission with 9 forward gears (3 primary 3 auxiliary) so take it with a grain of salt. There are plenty of ball bearing in that transmission assembly but I'd be looking at the ones for the low gear in the auxiliary trans. I hesitate to recommend this but if you secure the rear axle on jack stands (might want to remove the tires) you could put in it gear and listen for it while it's stationary. Just be very careful not to let it get away from you or get anything of your's caught in spinning bits.