B7800 Parker Racor filter installation

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
Hello everyone,

I bought a Parker Racor 120AS diesel filter assembly to replace the factory filter so I can check and drain any water easier on the B7800. I will also install a shutoff valve before the filter.

The inlet and outlet hose barbs were easy to find (1/4 NPT I believe), but I can't seem to find an angled fitting for the vent connection (it's not 1/4 NPT and also not 3/8-16... maybe it's something metric ?)

Would the new filter work fine without a vent connection? I am guessing the original connection at the top of the filter is a vent connection. I have seen some videos of this being installed without the vent connection, but on different equipment.

Also, would it be correct to assume that the fuel would come in from the fuel tank on port 1 on the Racor and leave on port 4 to the fuel pump?

Thanks,

George

Attachments

Last edited:

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
finally found the thread size on that vent plug on the Racor web site (3/8-24). I knew it wasn't 1/8 NPT as I already tried that. Now the challenge is to find an angled hose barb with that thread (Home Depot didn't have it).
1594298331204.png

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Try NAPA. They will carry Gates or Eaton fittings. if you can find the P/N in a fitting book, you or they can order it if they don’t carry it in stock.

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
Looked at the parts list on the B7800 and that smaller line on top of the fuel filter assembly is a fuel line, not a vent line. It goes close to the top of the fuel tank, next to another 1/4" line that goes to the injector closest to the fuel tank. This probably explains why fuel kept coming from the fuel filter assembly when I changed the filter (since my tank was filled above where that 1/4" fuel line connects). If the fuel level was below that, a check valve in the fuel filter assembly was supposed to stop the fuel when I removed the bowl.

Does anyone know if it would be a problem to just plug that fuel line at the top of the tank if I use the Racor filter? Or should I connect it to another port on the Racor filter? There are two input ports on the Racor, so it would look like the attached picture.

It looks like the Racor vent plug is more of a purging vent than something that would connect to a hose.

Thanks,

George

Attachments

Last edited: