B7510 leak under belly

Allen B

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 18, 2023
Kimbolton Ohio
I have a b7510 kinda looks like there is a leak on the shaft seal by the bell housing. The shaft goes back towards the rear-end how big of a deal is it to change that seal. It's not a bad leak yet I been checking fluids an it hasn't lost enough to notice yet.

daredevil1166

Mar 10, 2024
Oregon
There is a gear reduction case behind the engine that is filled with hydraulic fluid.
Your leak is likely the output shaft seal of that gear case.
The tractor has to be at least partially "split" at that point and the 2 halves rolled apart to remove the driveshaft to replace that seal.

Commonly grass will get wrapped around that seal and cause it to leak or damage it. If that is the case I've had some success just carefully cleaning out the seal where it seal against the shaft. But you take a serious risk of damaging that seal if you try cleaning it.

It is not a difficult job but is time consuming.

If you do take it on yourself I would recommend getting a workshop manual. It goes through the process in reasonable detail.

There is also a plug just above that seal that I would replace at the same time and you may want some new o-rings for various hydraulic lines.

My recommendation would be to leave it alone until it annoys you enough to spend the time or money to fix it.
I've seen them have a minor leak like that for many years and not get worse enough to be worth fixing.

Reactions: 1 user

Allen B

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 18, 2023
Kimbolton Ohio
There is a gear reduction case behind the engine that is filled with hydraulic fluid.
Your leak is likely the output shaft seal of that gear case.
The tractor has to be at least partially "split" at that point and the 2 halves rolled apart to remove the driveshaft to replace that seal.

Commonly grass will get wrapped around that seal and cause it to leak or damage it. If that is the case I've had some success just carefully cleaning out the seal where it seal against the shaft. But you take a serious risk of damaging that seal if you try cleaning it.

It is not a difficult job but is time consuming.

If you do take it on yourself I would recommend getting a workshop manual. It goes through the process in reasonable detail.

There is also a plug just above that seal that I would replace at the same time and you may want some new o-rings for various hydraulic lines.

My recommendation would be to leave it alone until it annoys you enough to spend the time or money to fix it.
I've seen them have a minor leak like that for many years and not get worse enough to be worth fixing.
That's kinda been my thought it isn't leaking bad enough to fix it right now. So may just keep am eye on it till a later time. When i was looking at it it looked like i would have to split it. Thanks for the input.