B7200 with sub soiler

tim0477

Jul 15, 2010
PA
Hi,

I was thinking of trying the sub soiler from TSC with a piece of conduit attached to the back of it to run underground wire to a post light I plan to place about 250' from the house. Tractor has 4WD and turfs on it. What are the chances of being able to get enough traction to make this work? Will it work to make multiple passes only going down a few inches at a time if necessary and then try to feed the wire on the final pass?

Thanks,
Tim

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...and turfs on it...
I think, that will be the problem. The turfs are slippery. If you have lawn/gras below it's getting more slippery.
Give it a try, but expect not a deep trench behind you. Sound's like a lot of passes...

I used my old tractor for this. And it was able to pull the thing with an extra weight of 30kg/60lbs on it. I guess with no stones or roots it will dig 20cm/8", maybe. You have to drive with high speed to have the impulse for stones/roots.

good luck

carl

Last edited:

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Pretty sure you will have to use multiple passes. It should work.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
A lot depends on your soil and what you will find under the surface. Like you and others have said, it is doable with multiple passes. When you start, even if it looks like you could do it in one pass I'd still make a pass without trying to feed the wire; that way if you run into problems while cutting the trench you won't have the wire buried up to that point and have to stop to deal with a rock or something.

And contrary to what Carl said, slow will be your friend. Use low range and basically creep along.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I concur with Biker,when engaged into the ground you must go slow. Momentum would help you rip through a root, but will break stuff too. Use 4WD and if you have a loader put some weight in the bucket so the front tires will help you pull. Multiple passes is a must, but it will be difficult to hit the same trench each time. Good luck and pray for few rocks.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
?Slow or Fast?

When I did this and it was still gras under the tires, I tried many things. And one was the slow version. The wheels were spinning the tractor not moving. Even with the differential-lock. The turf tire's were to slippery. Only with a speed of 8-10 km/h (5-6 mph) it got better. The tractor need the impulse to get it done. And if it get stuck by a big rock or root, the structur of the equipment should be strong enough and the guy on the tractor should be aware of this possible "stopps".
The sum of all this: That tractor is maybe not the correct tool for doing the job in an appropriate way.

carl

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello,

here are two impressions to get an idea of the job :)

Is that the job we are talking about, tim0477?

carl

tim0477

Jul 15, 2010
PA
Yes Carl,

The Deere in the photo is doing what I hope to be doing with my old Kubota. I will probably purchase the sub soiler from TSC and have a go at it. If it doesn't work, I can always turn around and sell the sub soiler and make back part of my investment.

Thanks,
Tim