B7100 rear brake advice needed

Jitterbugdude

Equipment
B7100
Feb 11, 2010
Northeastern part of Maryland
Hey guys, I've had this tractor for about 8 years and its never had brakes. Today I finally decided to fix them. When I took the brake drum cover off, one side was full of mud. I noticed the gasket was torn up. No big deal though. My question is this: Holding the brake drum housing in my hand (with the shoes off) should I be able to move the pawl by hand? By pawl, I mean the lever that the brake rod is attached to on the drum housing. Both of mine seem to be frozen, therefore they do not move to push the shoes out and into the drum. Any help/advice appreciated!

Randy B

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Don't know but one of the gurus will chime in soon.

I would expect to be able to move it by hand, but you might try using a leaver to push the brake pedal and watch to see if it moves. It really sounds like you need to do some serious rust-busting.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I'd wait a few days for the oil to do its thing.
Good idea, yes needs to be able to rotate back and forwards freely.
I guess you have the full parts manual and service manual? Check your inbox if you don't.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Yes as other have said it should move freely by hand. If you have removed the brake shoes from it their should be almost no resistance at all. Before pressing the shaft out make sure you have removed the circlip from the inside end of the shaft. Once you get the shaft out you will need to clean the shaft and inside of housing plus replace the 2 o-rings that are supposed to keep lubrication inside and dirt out.

Jitterbugdude

Equipment
B7100
Feb 11, 2010
Northeastern part of Maryland
Appreciate the help guys. I'll order the O-rings and brake gaskets. Everything I ever need from my Kubota dealer has to be ordered!.. About the only thing he keeps in stock are oil filters.

Should also mentione I have all the books (Service Manual, Parts, Owners etc). Thanks to 100td for sending me the electronic versions!