B7100 gear oil change

visora

May 7, 2013
salem, wi. usa
I was following my manual and changing 80W90 gear oil in both front wheel hubs, axle housing. and steering box. I have a non HST model. I found a very small drain plug and fill plug both of which are 10mm bolt heads in a housing that the front drive shaft enters into. The fill hole is about half way up the housing and located very near the engine oil drain plug. My manual makes no mention of these 10 mm plugs. I removed the drain plug and nothing came out. Does anything go into this housing. The fill hole and drain holes are really really small for 90w gear oil it seems to me. The drive shaft at this housing is covered with a rubber boot and clamp. This housing then bolts to the front differential case. Thanks in advance for the help.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/visora/IMG_1062300x225_zpsccf9e0db.jpg
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/visora/media/IMG_1063300x225_zps29a7bb4e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:

visora

May 7, 2013
salem, wi. usa
A local dealer got back to me and said that nothing goes into this housing. He said the holes are water drain holes. I guess that is why there was no mention of them in my manual.

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
There have been a few posts from members uncertain about those plugs.
Your dealer is right. However some members incuding myself have found oil from a leaking front diff seal, and other gunge , sitting in that "can".

It is worthwhile and straightforward to undo the 3 bolts attaching that housing to the front diff in order to check for accumulated gunk that might be getting into your front drive shaft universal.
When I checked mine it was full of oil and gunk and the universal yoke was close to breaking apart.
I cleaned it up, put in a new diff seal and replaced the universal.
While you're up that end of the tractor check the diff pivot pin for oil leaks or excessive play.
When I took my pivot pin out(at 4000hrs) it was very worn as were the seals.
If the pivot pin seals are leaking oil fom the diff then your diff oil will probably also be getting prematurely contaminated and dirty.

Worth checking