b7100 engine upgrade, a new project to undertake.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Well thats about it for the engine guys, the D850 with all the relavant 750 parts carried over and fitted.
I fitted a new dry bearing and seal on the end of the crankshaft too while the flywheel was off, also fitted 3 new pre-combustion chambers too as one had burned through and so seemed best to do all 3.

anyway, i have some other repair to carryout on the transmission drive outputs and UJ's before i can refit the completed engine, but will report back on after i've run it all up etc.

all in , seems to have been a pretty good project with no really nasty bits to overcome, i'm temped to do a D950 next into my HST .

rob

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Rob,

More pics as you put it back together would be great!

Also, where the pre-combustion chambers difficult to change? How did you go about it?

Finally, thanks for the info and great job!

Kind regards,

Steve

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Thanks for the reply steve, yep i do have more pics and some more updates.
Just writing up the details now in word format just in case i loose it all, it going to be quite long witha lot of various pics, keep an eye out within the next hour or so.

cheers
rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi everyone,
Here is another update on my current project of the engine upgrade on my B7100.
This project of mine started out just as an idea to be honest, my 7100 was work pretty well but did need some attention in several areas, the engine being the first port of call, in reality, it has turned out to be far more than just that, a heck of a lot more.

As already mentioned at the start of this thread I was planning on replacing my tired D750 engine and retro fitting a D850 engine into the 7100 instead, details of which I have been updating this thread when I could.

What I have now ended up with is a completely new project, don’t ask how I managed to get so far entangled in this , I really don’t know, the whole project just seemed to grow and before I could say job done, the whole tractor was a large pile of bits on the workshop floor.

Anyway, you should have already got a good idea of what I have done so far on the engine front, its pretty well rebuilt which on the overhauling of service parts was pretty well text book , but there were a few more issues that I had to address to be honest which I forgot to mention earlier in the thread that most certainly were not text book.

After I had overhauled the head etc and was about to refit it when 3 problems came to light, and not all at once, problems that were not obvious until the fitting of the head.
Anyone could be forgiven, that after looking at the technical specs sheets etc for the Kubota 70mm series engines (D650/750/850/950 )and then assume that all share basic layout features, with the ancillary parts being the differing factor depending on the engines application, not so, its not just the ancillary parts that are a factor when considering a retro fitting between the group of engines.

Here is a classic example on my project, my D750 engine head/block uses M8 studs & bolts, the D850 I have uses M9 bolts only, not a major problem as the later B7100 with the 750 engine were fitted with M9 studs &bolts.
The problem arises now that because of the way the generator is mounted to the engine, it mounts via a 3 piece bracket just above and in front of the injector pump, so then, the m9 bolt will not work, it has to be stud as the bracket mounts on top of it with another nut to secure the bracket, and a long stud for that matter.
I had to order the stud from my dealer, and when I recieved it the part number was correct but it was still to short, another 24hrs later and a lot of phone calls to Kubota UK the correct part and part number was located, it was a modified part to later engines, but not clearly listed on parts sheets.

On the subject of the pre-combustion chambers, they just knock out with a drift via the injector hole, to refit, just line them up and knock them back in with a suitable drift , done.

So that solved that issue, and then the next one.

This is also a problem that only effects the type of engine I am using and revolves around that pesky generator mounting position.
The cooling system bypass link from the water pump & thermostat housing is different, the outlet tubes on the 750 I have are a screw in fitment and are angled so as to move the rubber bypass hose back away from the belt, on the 850 they are straight and a push in fit, so you cant even swap over the outlets, luckily I had a nearly new

water pump which was the correct item otherwise I would have needed to buy a complete new water pump.
Right that’s that issue sorted.
And onto the next , also a cooling based problem.
On the front of the D750 cyl head the thermostat housing assembly is held on to the cylinder head by the use of 6 bolts(5 short 1 long), on the 850 I have its different.
There are 5 short bolts, same as before but the the long bolt has been replaced by a stud, and due to the extra length of the tread now protruding from the face of the nut the cylinder will not fit correctly due to the contact with the belt tensioning assembly ( also a different item).
So , out with the stud, luckily the long original fitment bolt does screw in fine.

It can clearly be seen that just one differing item on one of these engine can have such a larger effect on so many other parts.
To be honest, if it was not for the fact that I had enough donor parts to start with , I may have aborted this project on the basis of overall cost.

So in summary on the engine part of the project, was it worth it, yes.
Cost wise the engine has totalled £300 and its ready to fit now, from a time point of view, its has taken a couple of weeks to complete , working during the weekend and some evenings, so not to bad.

What I would say to anyone thinking about doing the same, make sure you get the right lump from the start, it makes things so much easier.
I suspect this sort of project has been performed so many guys with no hassles at all, its not difficult, but you need the right basis to start with.
My was close, not ideal, but close enough as it came at the right price and was of low usage etc, also if you want to swap parts over, make sure that they will swap over without giving added problem like I had.
I have added pics of the above also.

I am going to rename this thread “ don’t try this unless you are totally bonkers”, well I’m going to start a new thread as the whole tractor is in parts and I’m rebuilding the rest from the ground up with the addition of some nice extra parts here and there, but that’s a new thread and this was just about the engine.

The next part of the revised project is underway.

Well hope that wasn’t to long…….and that it helps someone out in the future.

rob

Attachments

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
more pics, including a pic of the old 750 block, notice the two broken studs, i never new they were broken until i took the head off:eek:

Attachments

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
having the right tools and lifting kit does make life way easier.:)

also, all that is left of the b7100 at present is on the floor, except the engine, the rest is all in bits awaiting stage 2, the " big rebuild"

rob

Attachments

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Rob,

Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!!

Thanks for taking the time.

I will also do something similar once I tackle my swap.

Sure wish mine had the alternator assembly mounted like that. Mine all have the alternator that mounts where the water pump usually goes, which the fan bolts to.

Would it be possible to get a list of the parts necessary to mount the alternator that way along with part numbers? The reason that I ask is I know the tractors were different for the UK and I'm not sure our parts lists cover those items (I checked and mine doesn't).

Again, nice work!

Kind regards,

Steve

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Rob,

Sure wish mine had the alternator assembly mounted like that.

Would it be possible to get a list of the parts necessary to mount the alternator that way along with part numbers?
I'm with Steve, Would love to have a set of those brackets and idler pulleys to swap on mine too! I have a set to locate the alt to the side but, they interfere with the side panel. I like how those also have the punched metal guards too. Those might be a necessary design for the engines previous application??? Any way, great job Rob!

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Thanks for the replies guys, i am in the proccess of compiling a list of the parts and part numbers for you.
That way if you decide to modify your setup it wont take forever to source the parts.
I spoke to Kubota UK a few days ago regarding the availablity of the parts to owners in the USA etc, they said there would be no problem obtaining the parts from your local dealer, but , the part numbers may be slightly different in the US and similar, but the part numbers would show up but have an ammended part number.

The Brackets etc in my pics are standard fitment on the later B7100 with the D750B engine etc (the water pump version), without these brackets etc there are issues with side covers not fitting on etc, etc if you try to use the opposite side for the mounting position.
The D850 engine i purchased did in fact have the small generator fitted on the left of the engine (when veiwed from the front of engine) just in front of the exhaust manifold , the adjusting bracket fitted to the head on the water output flange.
I couldnt use this setup as it stuck out to far andthe side panel wouldnt go on, hence why i had to get all the parts fitted correctly from the start again.

anyway, i'll update you shortly.

rob