B7100 D950 project

chocolatetoothpaste

Equipment
b7100 HST-D
Sep 14, 2021
Utah
Hi all! I am new to the forum and wanted to share my project and ask a couple questions. This is my B7100. It's an old style, I think '74. The D750 in it is smoking pretty bad, mostly white smoke and a lot of blow by out the breather. I picked up a low hours (~1300) D950 for a good price. Other than the engine the tractor is in good condition, has some minor issues I'll take care of in due time.

A couple upgrades already made:
  • Drilled out lift arms slightly to accommodate CAT 1 pins
  • swapped out lift arm links with a universal style (previous owner had bent the snot out of them, they wouldn't adjust and kubota units were quite expensive)

Some upgrades/projects I'm planning for the nearish future:

• Quick attach set up for the bucket (mainly for future projects, see below)
  • Looking for a ditch witch/trencher with a backhoe so I can make a trencher attachment for the front and build a backhoe attachment (not 3 point, frame mounted)
  • Snow blower attachment for the front end (mod quick attach with hydraulic quick couplers)
  • Possibly converting my cement mixer to run off the PTO...? Sounds relatively easy, it's currently gas engine and has plenty power but one less small engine to maintain... I have plenty enough already.
  • Swap flashers out for LED units. PO upgraded work lights to LED already, but he put square ones mounted on hood. I'll find some LED round units and mount behind factory light location. Looks like a 4" is the right size, hasn't been easy finding the right ones yet.
  • Find a way to mount a decent size tool box! I think on the right side, about where the little hoop is mounted. I want to mount a cup holder too (water only, I promise :LOL:)

Now to the questions:

1. I saw reference in this post to a "newer style kubota switch with glow plug hold on one side". I'm assuming it has a detent so the key stays in that position so you don't have to hold it... Does anyone happen to know a part number or tractor model that has this type of switch? I will be making a new wiring harness from scratch (current one has been hacked up and will be adding a small alternator with the D950 swap) and my hands like the sound of upgrading the switch at the same time. I have issues with my hands so holding the key is difficult sometimes.

2. In my 3rd picture, the hose from what I assume is the fuel pump into the injector is split. Is this something I can pick up at the parts store and is it a specific type of hose? Or will I need to order it from a dealer? I figure it's under some pressure but I don't know how much and if regular fuel house would do the trick.

Edit:

Last question(s): The engine looks to be in really good condition on the outside, should I open up the top end at all for inspection? Should I get a gasket kit and reseal everything?

Attachments

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Re: glow plug switch

A) My L35, like many tractors newer than yours, has a detent position for preheat where 'Run' would be on older cars. It activates a controller/timer (the timer adjusts based on a second coolant sensor) which uses a relay to switch the heaters. There is a dash light to tell when the heaters are on, and indicate when to start. I doubt the switch contacts are rated for full glow plug current. This wouldn't work anyway because the switch is on when the tractor's running, which would cause the plugs to be on continuously. You'd have to install the controller and relay also. Then the controller would need to match your glow plugs. Maybe you could wire in a push button arrangement.
B) Newer (not sure when, but I think 1974 is older) Kubota glow plugs have a different, faster heating, design. Whether you keep the wiring as-is or re-design it, you need to know which glow plugs you have on the new engine. If you over heat them, they can burn out and cause other problems.

Reactions: 1 user

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
has there been any progress on the swap ?

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Welcome to the site...Did the old owner share any info on it? It looks like it's been care for...