B6000 ..... Oil Leak from front of Engine

Stoke City

Equipment
B6000
Feb 22, 2013
Stoke in England
Started my old B6000 today. It stood with the engine ticking-over for about 15 minutes.
It was then that I noticed a small patch of engine Oil had dripped onto the floor immediately under the fanbelt system. There were also loads of oil speckles being flicked off the fan or fanbelt.
I cant be sure but I think the oil is leaking from the bottom shaft that drives the fanbelt

I'm sure you can acertain from my description of the fault that engines are to me the same as a females mind ....... a mystery :eek:

What is the likely problem ..... thanks

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
Front seal about $5.25 from Messicks the rear is a bit more work to get to, I'm doing both on my B7100 now.

Tim

Started my old B6000 today. It stood with the engine ticking-over for about 15 minutes.
It was then that I noticed a small patch of engine Oil had dripped onto the floor immediately under the fanbelt system. There were also loads of oil speckles being flicked off the fan or fanbelt.
I cant be sure but I think the oil is leaking from the bottom shaft that drives the fanbelt

I'm sure you can acertain from my description of the fault that engines are to me the same as a females mind ....... a mystery :eek:

What is the likely problem ..... thanks

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yeah sounds like the front oil seal, though it could be the gear case gasket itself. That shaft is actually the end of the crankshaft. On my machine you have to support the engine block, unbolt and remove the front axle assembly from the block, remove the big nut on the crank pulley, and then the gear case unbolted. Once the case is off it's pound out the old seal with a drift and press the new one into place. I used my drill press to install the new one.

It's not a horrible job but it's fairly involved and it would be helpful to have someone who knows what they're doing to ask for help.

One thing to note. I found that if I tried to simply slide the gear case back on the crankshaft the spring inside the front oil seal get pushed out. I had to remove the ring the oil seal rides on, push that into the seal from inside the case and then very carefully slide that on the crank.