B6000 fuel pump replacement; Glow plug Q

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hi all. I've been lurking around here for a while, learning what I can.
I got a B6000 about a month ago, seems like a nice reasonably clean machine, with the original tiller mounted to it.
When I got it the headlight and horn didn't work. I did get a wiring diagram and straightened it out, now they work.
Before I started I noticed both fuses were blown. I replaced the original fuse holders as they were pretty corroded, I put in spade type fuse holders with rubber housings, seems like and upgrade, same amperage fuses.
When I first put the new fuse in I could hear the fuel pump running when the key was on (which wasn't the case when I got it), now it doesn't seem to run any more. I tried connecting it directly to the battery and it still seems dead.

My question is, I had read somewhere on the forum that people were using generic fuel pumps when they went to replace because the Kubota ones were so expensive. Does any one know what generic pumps fit? The flow rate and such to look for?
When I could hear the pump working the machine started much more easily than when I first got it, as well as now, so I suspect that's one reason it's not starting as well.

Another question is about the coil on the dash that indicates the glow plugs are glowing. My wiring seems to be correct, the top of the glow plugs feels hot to the touch when I turn them on but the coil on the dash never glows or feels hot. I don't know how hot the glow plug heads should feel if they're working right or not, this is my only diesel with them.
Any suggestions on how I could test this? I do know the whole machine's been painted, kinda your everything paint job too, maybe the engine and thus the glow plugs isn't grounded well?

Anyway, seems like a great Kubota site, I'm sure I'll be around here for some time.

Thanks for reading.
--ben

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just went through glow-plugs with another bloke.
Here's what I would do. Carefully disconnect the main power lead coming from the glow indicator to the first plug. Carefully so you do not lose the tiny nut on the glow-plug(s). When the plugs are both disconnected; make a test light with a 12 V light bulb and a couple wires with alligator-clips. Connect one clip to the + side of the battery and the other clip to the terminal of the glow-plug, if it lights the plug is good, check the other plug. Now when you reassemble the wire and jumper between the plugs, gently clean the wire terminal end and the ends of the jumper lead so you see bright metal. Emory cloth or real fine sandpaper will knock off the corrosion quickly. Tighten the little nuts only finger tight + 1/8 turn, you do not want to twist the terminal of the glow-plug.

If one glow-plug is disconnected or burnt out the glow indicator will not "glow."

Oops forgot to say, give the fuel pump a light rap with a screw driver handle, It may just be gummed a bit and will start working with some fresh fuel flowing through it.

Last edited:

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Thanks birddogger, that's just the kind of info I needed, a nice simple test.
I did try rapping on the fuel pump to no avail, but I may have found a replacement locally anyway.

Thanks again.