B5100e

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
I recently bought a B5100E to look after about 2 acres. Mostly rough mowing and some cultivation. I think maybe I made a mistake with this model as it has such limited power I am unable to find any implements for it. I got a B3048 belly mower attachment that looks like it will fit with only minor modification but I am completely stuck for finding a tiller. The smallest ones seem to need around 16hp on the pto. Would it be possible to lower the horsepower requirement by simply removing some of the blades? Any comments would be useful at this stage.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I recently bought a B5100E to look after about 2 acres. Mostly rough mowing and some cultivation. I think maybe I made a mistake with this model as it has such limited power I am unable to find any implements for it. I got a B3048 belly mower attachment that looks like it will fit with only minor modification but I am completely stuck for finding a tiller. The smallest ones seem to need around 16hp on the pto. Would it be possible to lower the horsepower requirement by simply removing some of the blades? Any comments would be useful at this stage.
Here's a few to look at. Woods GTC40-2 and the BushHog RTC40. Both of those actual tilling width is 39". Kubota has the B40C with an actual tilling width of just 37". I used a B40C behind a B6100 for years. The B6100 is just 14 hp and I had no problems at all. It is a very well made tiller. If you are breaking sod with it, make a couple light passes instead of just one. Your soil type can make a difference as well. And yes, you can certainly take off the outside tines if need be.

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
I have a B6000 (12hp engine) with a 42 inch tiller. I have never had an issue with lack of power. Even if you did bog down, you could raise the tiller a little and make repeated passes. Or drop a few tines for the first pass. I am always amazed what my little tractor can do! It would climb a tree if I let it.

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
So what you guys are saying is that only having 10hp to the pto won't be a problem as long as I don't take too big a bite. Just take it easy and make more passes. If you can use these biggish tillers off 11 & 12hp pto then I should be OK. Thanks for the comments.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You have a little tractor that thinks it is a big tractor, You will be amazed how well it will do! Have Fun!:D
Ed

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
horsepower ratings on equipment can fool a person. horsepower is avail energy to do the work but the equipment adds mechanical advantage to that energy. much can be done with these little powerhouses!

tim

Porkchopx

Equipment
Grey B5001D with loader
Dec 6, 2009
Kamloops, B.C. Canada
My little B5001 which is a grey market B5100 is a 4x4 and came with a factory FEL and a 42" factory PTO tiller. I have used the tiller in hard packed soil and have had no power issues. The only problem was I would get pushed forwards if I was tilling too deep. You should have no problem with yours.

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
I have to agree with all of the above. Power is not a problem for my 5100 either(within reason!). My limiting factor is front end weight when using 3ph implements. Always gets too light/front wheels up. What are you guys using for front weight?

steve

Equipment
B7100HST, B5001DT/B5100DT, JD-111H, Chevy K2500 DuraMax, CJ-5, CJ-7, TJ jeeps
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
I bolted on a wooden box on the front of the frame of my B5001DT and filled it with bricks to hold the front end on the ground. The box holds about 25 bricks and does a great job. Anymore weight on the front end might be a bit much.
Steve

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
Extra front weight might not be a problem for me. I am carrying a belly mower deck and the electric clutch and stuff that drives it is bolted on to the front. It must add a fair bit of weight, I can hardly move the deck on my own.
Thanks for all the comments. All I have to do now is find a tiller and I'm set for the job. :)

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
Update on my last post. I found a tiller, about a metre wide and no problems with power at all. The lack of front weight was causing spectacular wheelies so I had to deal with that. The belly mower wasn't enough to do the job so it got taken off. It had been driven by an electromagnetic clutch and belts taken off the front of the engine. It destroyed two of these clutches, one broke mechanically and one just fried its wiring. I am converting the belly mower to be towed by the 3ph and be powered by a 12hp B&S vertical crank engine. The old box that used to house the clutch at the front of the tractor now has been filled with scrap metal and works well as a weight box. I never throw anything away!