b3030 and older 5ft 3 pt tsc kutter

Jack 3030

Equipment
B3030
Jun 10, 2014
IA US
I just got a b3030 and have an older 5 ft tsc 5 ft bush hog type 3 pt.
the gear box is rated 40 hp. well hooked it up and do not know if the cutter is having issues or if it is the pto. as it squeals and spins the shaft then stops. the manual says min hp is 25 at the pto which the b3030 does not have.
but I can hand turn the pto shaft on the cutter and the blades move so no binding or anything else and my hands are not 25 hp. the gear fluid is full on the kutter.
is it possible the pto is shot or is it related to the hp rating? I mean it is only 2 hp less and would think that it is no big deal . and supposedly the dealer checked the tractor over and everything was fine.but we know how that goes.
do not have any other pto devices that I can check against .
am I asking too much?
thanks

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
What squeals, what spins, and what stops? You have PLENTY of horsepower to run the mower. You may possibly have a sheared roll pin through the mower drive shaft, or a loosely adjusted slip clutch. We need to know what part is stopping.

Jack 3030

Equipment
B3030
Jun 10, 2014
IA US
the pto shaft will stop.shear pin is fine .you state the hp is plenty but it will not run the mower shaft.
but I too thought it should run the mower without any issues.
if I disconnect the mower the pto shaft runs without any issues but there is nothing connected,so would expect that. with mower connected it spins squeals or whines and the pto stops spinning so that leads me to belive there is an issue with the pto itself.
thanks