BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Does anyone know what the amp output is for the dyno on a B1700? I added aftermarket lights, 2 front one rear direct to the battery, and the dyno won't keep up with them. If I use the tracror at night it runs the batteryt down in about an hour. I'd like to replace the original dyno with the 60 amp mini alternator found here:

http://www.rareelectrical.com/RACING/ALTERNATOR/POWERMASTER/CHEVY-MINI-ALTERNATOR-p8466404.html
Dynamo output is about 14 amps at full engine RPM. barely enough to keep the battery charged with the standard lights.
Ed

Woodchuck

Equipment
BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY
Thanks Ed! I guess a 60 amp should do it provided I don't run it through the standard VR ( Which I just replaced) and connect it direct to the battery.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks Ed! I guess a 60 amp should do it provided I don't run it through the standard VR ( Which I just replaced) and connect it direct to the battery.
The alternator you are looking at has a built in regulator. You really just need to hook up one wire from that alternator to the battery, be sure you use a wire heavy enough to carry the 60 amps. It likely will rarely see that much but it could if you had a seriously discharged battery! You'll have no indication if it is charging or not unless you put a ammeter in that wire or install a voltmeter ( my choice!)