Anyone moving round bales with an MX? Do you need additional rear weight?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I realize photos can be deceiving but the bales in your photos don't appear to be 6ft tall(diameter) to my aging eyesight.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I realize photos can be deceiving but the bales in your photos don't appear to be 6ft tall(diameter) to my aging eyesight.
The bale spear my friend bought is the HLA FE55049 which is 66" wide or 5-1/2" feet, maybe that will help with the scale. I have no experience with round bales so not sure how much they deviate from nominal dimensions but I can see how these bales would be a 5'x6' rather than a 5'x5'. I didn't pay for them so it makes no difference to me but the rancher selling them said they were the 1,400 lb variety.

HLA Attachments - Four Prong Bale Spear c/w Adjustable Guard

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
1,400 lb was mentioned and the bales make the MX look small.
I realize it's not your concern BUT ""it would be very interesting to know"" what one of the bales in your photo actually weight more especially the bale on the rear of your trailer. I've baled,purchased & sold 1000's of rd bales since I started custom baling in 1987. Bought a lot of 4X5.5 bales that were advertised @ 1200#s that didn't make it weighing much over a 1000#s on a scale. That's when buying by the ton becomes very important! Weighing bales eliminates a lot of the "guess work"

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I realize it's not your concern BUT ""it would be very interesting to know"" what one of the bales in your photo actually weight more especially the bale on the rear of your trailer. I've baled,purchased & sold 1000's of rd bales since I started custom baling in 1987. Bought a lot of 4X5.5 bales that were advertised @ 1200#s that didn't make it weighing much over a 1000#s on a scale. That's when buying by the ton becomes very important! Weighing bales eliminates a lot of the "guess work"
I went back over yesterday afternoon/evening to pick up my tractor and trailer and bought a tape measure with me but it's hard to get an accurate measurement on the diameter.

The thing I learned from this experience is that the MX can handle unloading this size of bale stacked on a trailer as shown. It really doesn't matter to me but the friend I was helping is expecting to buy the MX when my new one shows up. He's even stopped by the local Kubota dealership and asked them when MY new tractor will be here which is a bit much.

I will say that the inability to use the roll back feature with the loader at near max height was disappointing but that's just the limitation of having a 1,000 + load that's way out in front of the pins. Regardless, my friend was very pleased with the performance of the MX since it did what he needed with no fuss. Unfortunately, he doesn't look after things so the MX will most likely die a slow, miserable death at his place.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Measuring bale diameter isn't difficult. Measure height & width of a bale diameters add the 2 measurements together & divide by 2. Front bales squatting while on your trailer indicate my suspension that your neighbors bales possibly won't weigh 1400#s. I'll bet if rd bales were 4 ft wide instead of 5 that your tractor FEL bale spear attachment would roll the 4 ft wide bale back.