Any help for 331 zero turn ??

jack1949

Jun 1, 2011
Minnesota
Always a great forum! I've come here often for my 2900 tractor. Wondering if anyone has experience with kubota's larger zero turns (331). My blower deck grass catcher housing is cracked- 3 inches from a small sucked in branch . So, can I use a small patch with some type of good epoxy that matches well with the type of poly plastic housing,,,,,or, find a source of the housing and replace it (likely with impeller while I'm in there.).

Thoughts ?? Sorry if this is strictly only tractor forum site.

Jack

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
With some of the new plastics, there's pretty much nothing that will bond/weld them. Ran into this problem when I could have gotten a Coleman canoe for cheap; it had a gouge through it from dragging on a rock. The repair kit cost $45 and would patch an 8 inch crack, the crack was 12 inches so I walked away.

Probably would be better to screw it together; but then the screws will snag clippings. But if you paid attention and kept cleaning it...

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I believe Home Depot carries a product called Plastic Welder or something like that. I've used it in the past and it works well on funky plastics. You might give it a go as it would be a very cheap fix if it works...

Also, Harbor Freight carries a plastic welding kit for use on ABS plastics. Not sure it that is what the deck is made from, but it might be another option worth trying.

If it's made from ABS plastic, it might be a possibility to use ABS plastic cement that is designed for plumbing fittings. The solvent actually melts the plastic and that might be another inexpensive option if it'd work. It would be strongest if there was a way to bond a flat piece of matching plastic on top of the crack...

Finally, I would drill the ends of the crack so it doesn't go further just like we do in metal work.

Just a few hair-brained ideas.

Good luck!

Steve