Any B21 or L35 owners out there?

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
I am considering buying a B21 or L35 and would like to hear from any owner / operators out there.

I would use the machine for excavating around existing home foundations to install drainage as well as trenching and loading / moving gravel and sand.

Would love to know the machines limitations , dig depth etc.

I'm looking to rent one before I buy ( many rental places used the B21 and L35 and L48 for rentals) but since these are older units and no longer in production most rental places no longer have any available.

Thanks

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Here is a link to TractorData.com that will answer some of your questions.
I have an l35 and I am very satisfied with it. It does a great job digging with the backhoe and is one strong tractor for a smaller tractor. I wanted something that I could trailer on a 10,000 lb trailer and the L35 fit my requirements. Yes there are times when a bigger L39 or L45 would be stronger but my l35 will do all that I need just maybe a little slower. I cannot speak for the b21 but the B series is smaller again. It all depends on your requirements.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
L-35 with its frame-mounted backhoe has turned into the handiest thing on the place. Recently added Bro-Tec's manual thumb and can recommend it.

I test drove B-21s and many other models--seventeen in all over about seven months (everybody needs a hobby)--en route to our L-35, including Cases, BobKitty, Allmand, NH, JD. I found the B-21s and similar lacking in digging power. Cases were too worn or too big or too expensive for the value received. The -35 is a 'real' backhoe, regardless of physical size. And for that reason they aren't inexpensive. But at least for ours the value has been worth the price. You can probably find an older Case with 3,000-hrs on it for less than you'll pay for an L-35.

For a smaller tractor works great. Does probably 90% of what we need--grubbing rocks, clearing, digging, trenching, ditch cleaning, general farm maintenance. Anything bigger we let go until rent a bigger machine for a full day once a year or so. Easy to operate. Spouse uses it where she won't a bigger machine (can't see all inside the operating envelope--safety--of anything bigger).

Consider that L-35 is about half the size of a Case backhoe and can fit where a bigger machine won't. You mention trailering. Outside of its weight, you'd be surprised how large a trailer you need: you need to stretch out the boom a bit to prevent snagging low limbs and bridges and in order to get a chain across the bucket. We haul it locally on a 20-ft dovetail (that's a 20-footer loaded to the brim) but find a 30-ft lowboy is better. A 'heavy equipment trailer' would work great but it's sort of a one-trick pony to have loitering around not doing anything else.

Be prepared to completly replumb all hoses depending on hours and if still wears 'fuzzy' externally braided OEM hoses; go back with PVC spiral wrap on all hoses. Only issue I've had was the glow-plug timer / relay. Make certain the engine decompression pull-lever is functional and fully opens and more importantly fully closes.

Check safety interlock switches on any machine. In all my test driving I did not find a single construction-type backhoe with functional safties. Those smaller units owned by individuals were somewhat to slightly better, but not 100%. Although important, probably not a deal-killer if you're the only user. Butstarting one in gear will get your attention.

If the loader doesn't have a wear-edge on it, get one, even if aftermarket. Most all are made by only one company and if you look around you can find one with matching bolt holes. Or use a torch to custom-fit one you find cheap.

Check tire condition and front axle knuckles for leaks.

I'm amazed at how much power the little guy has for its size. With 4-wd it will cross wet areas that I can't myself walk over without sinking.

You can rent an L-39 as an approximation of what an L-35 will be like. If you've got the resources consider an upgrade to a later model with hydrostatic and quick-tach backhoe and (skid steer-type) loader buckets.

Be certain when you are looking at L-35's that you get the complete OEM 3-point hitch assembly that came with it. See KubotaBooks onlline for a parts schematic. New 3-point parts are horrendously expensive (~$1,600 'complete') and nothing aftermarket will fit correctly. The 3-point has to be removed to mount the hoe; the hoe can be removed but without the 3-point you have only a loader, no implement(s). On later models, e.g., L-39, the 3-point parts are optional. Having the 3-point adds [to later resale] value (but also when you're buying, if the seller is knowledgeable).

Removing the hoe on any of these things is not trivial no matter what the book says. And remember, no matter what you want to do, the wrong 'thing' will be mounted. And after removing the hoe you still have to remount the 3-point gear before hooking up an implement.

Check the hourmeter and confirm function and determine if the clock is about right for the age of the machine. Better to buy from an individual first-owner than at resale or from contractor. Caveat: distrust every tractor hourmeter unless the first and only owner keeps a maintenance log (I do).

Change all fluids and filters upon receipt. Use UDT (SUDT better) for optimized performance of GST transmission. Personally, I prefer HST as on newer models.

Power steering is dependent on engine RPMs so expect sluggish response unless engine is wound up 1,200-1,500+RPMs.

L-35 is not a speed demon, especially in lower gears: made to move around construction sites, not race. Roading one even in highest gear you can expect to be passed by bicycles and jogging mothers pushing baby buggies.

You need to obtain the Owner's Manuals for (1) Loader, (2) Backhoe, and (3) Tractor and the Parts Schematics Books for same (4, 5, and 6) and Shop Manual (7) for tractor. Having these references in-hand will save a lot of frustration and time.

Advise how we other L-35 owners can assist in your process and please post back with your decision and experiences so we may all learn.

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
THANK you for your great input. THANK you for what to look for.

I have found two triple mint B21's for sale locally ( 120 hours and 300 hours) , very expensive in my opinion - 22-24K!

I also found an L35 locally for sale with only 350 original owner hours for 25K. Not terrible considering a new B29 is over 44K by the time I add on stuff!

I am trying to schedule times to look at all three machines this week .

I want to excavate around my house foundation and install insulation and perimeter drainage, it sounds like the L35 is the machine that would work, the B21 is just too small...in a perfect world I would buy both.

Last edited: