Almost no weld, no drill, cheap solution for front handle bar

MNVGuy

May 8, 2024
MN
My LX3310 ROPS fits my trails and my garage great, but the seat/dash area is a bit on the small side for me (6' 2" 275#) and I find standing up from the seat a little awkward given how close the steering wheel is to my lap. I end up using the steering wheel itself as a bit of a handle bar to rise up out of the seat and to swing into position when getting on the tractor to start with. But, it just doesn't feel like torquing the steering wheel every time I get on and off the tractor is the best idea, so I built a cheap quick handle bar across the front of the tractor dash. I wanted to add something to grab onto, but didn't want to may any permanent changes to the tractor or FEL themselves.

What I imagined could be built with nothing more complicated than a few inches of steel angle iron, a few short pieces of threaded black pipe, a few 45 degree and 90 degree pipe elbows, two bolts/nuts and a little orange spray paint. It attaches (and can easily be removed) using two existing holes in the FEL post. The one part of this build that requires anything more than a hacksaw/anglegrinder and a drill is connecting the 90 degree pipe elbows to the angle iron pieces. That required a quick little weld. If you don't have a welder handy, it is only 5 minutes work for a buddy who has one or a local fabricator.

Since I have a welder and had no angle iron handy, I fabricated the two small L shaped pieces I needed from some 1/4" tags and also tack welded the seams between the elbows and pipe just to make sure nothing loosened up on me.

The pictures should be fairly self explanatory. It works great for my purposes.

1715209679874.png

1715209769982.png

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, did you get lucky with the pipes or do you have a threading machine ???

If you'd had a couple 'pipe flanges', you might not have needed to weld ?

reminds me of the Three Stooges 'bathroom plumbing episode'.......

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm so addicted to my phone I can certainly understand going to all that work for a phone holder. Makes sense now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MNVGuy

May 8, 2024
MN
That's quick and easy for sure.
What is the black clamp on thing ??
Phone holder - which is ironic, given that one of the best part of time on the tractor is that it is time away from the phone. But we just added some adjacent land and my wife outlined on ONX where she want me to cut some new trails and just easier to reference the ONX gps directly. When the project is done the mount will be gone.

Reactions: 1 user

MNVGuy

May 8, 2024
MN
OK, did you get lucky with the pipes or do you have a threading machine ???

If you'd had a couple 'pipe flanges', you might not have needed to weld ?
It worked out through mere luck that the pre-cut pre-threaded sizes at Home Depot worked perfectly. If that had not bee the case I would have cut myself and welded.

The pipe flange idea is a great idea for those with no welder! If you can cut a piece of angle iron and drill a hole in the angle iron for the bolt & flange connection you have all the tools you need. But if you went no-weld I would probably add some metal epoxy to the pipe/elbow fittings to prevent loosening.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Phone holder - which is ironic, given that one of the best part of time on the tractor is that it is time away from the phone. But we just added some adjacent land and my wife outlined on ONX where she want me to cut some new trails and just easier to reference the ONX gps directly. When the project is done the mount will be gone.
Well that makes me sad...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Very nice. I've been thinking about something similar, for the same reason - pulling on that steering wheel all the time feels like pulling on a slot machine that one day is gonna come up lemons.