Adjusting my 3 Point Hitch

mlshuford

Equipment
Kubota L4310
May 29, 2013
Cherryville, NC
Hey guys, this is probably going to end up being a really dumb question, but I just recently bought my first tractor (L4310F) and I'm having trouble getting my box blade even on the back. I realize that there is a little adjustment crank on the right adjustment arm of the hitch, but I can't get it to turn more than a couple rotations. I tried to grease it, but the grease fitting isn't all that close to where it seems like it's having trouble. The only other piece of information I'll throw out there is that when I unpin the arm from the rest of the hitch and it is hanging free I can turn the bottom half of it and that adjustment crank just spins away (but obviously doesn't extend or contract the arm). Any help on what I should use to try and get it moving again or where to put it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Just offhand, I'd say the adjustment arm threads are stripped. Turning the ball end just causes it to spin and not extend or retract is a big clue.

But both threads should move. Any little bend, even unseen, will cause those large threads to bind.

If it were mine I'd try to find a replacement. Sometimes tractor stores and even Tractor Supply have replacements for a reasonable price. Kubota branded parts will be much more expensive.

In the meantime, hook it back up and use a big pipe wrench to try to rotate the body of the adjustment arm. That should give you a clue to if it can be rotated at all. It should rotate as easily as the top link.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I'm with GWD on this. Sounds like a bend or damaged threads.

If you force it with a big wrench, BE CAREFUL! Try to turn it so you get it apart and not tighten it. Liquid Wrench is your friend in situations like this. You want to check to see if it's bent or the threads are damaged. If so, either replace it like GWD advised, or bring it to a machine shop and have them straighten it and run a die down the threads. Better to fix it right than to cause more damage by forcing it.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'm with GWD on this. Sounds like a bend or damaged threads.

If you force it with a big wrench, BE CAREFUL! Try to turn it so you get it apart and not tighten it. Liquid Wrench is your friend in situations like this. You want to check to see if it's bent or the threads are damaged. If so, either replace it like GWD advised, or bring it to a machine shop and have them straighten it and run a die down the threads. Better to fix it right than to cause more damage by forcing it.

Good luck,

Steve
+1 on the BE CAREFUL! I should have added it to my post.

If the pipe wrench doesn't easily move the body then trash it and get a new one.

If the pipe wrench breaks the top part loose and it moves easily then maybe you can buy a replacement threaded end (the end with the saddle rather than the ball).

That depends on being able to get the end that is spinning out of the body AND that the threaded shaft is the side that is stripped. If the body is stripped it would be much more complicated.

If the threaded shaft is stripped then you can buy a short piece of threaded shaft, cut off the original saddle, weld the new shaft to the saddle and you are good to go. A welding shop may be able to help with this.

Now doesn't just buying a replacement sound much easier?

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not to be too obvious but one end will be right hand thread and the other will be left hand thread. Mine were 3/4 -10 thread not metric - go figure.

When I got my tractor I had a similar problem. Soaked the thing in my favorite penetrating oil and used the pipe wrench to break it loose. I had mine off the tractor when wrenching on it - used a long steel bar through the end (laying on the floor) to hold it against the wrench force.

One thing I did not know was there were roll pins in the ends of the threaded rods so it can't be unscrewed all the way. You may want to look at the parts manual to see if yours has similar pins. I got mine completely apart but the pins messed the threads up a bit. The pins could have been ground down if I knew they were there.

Anyway good luck. Weaver's compact tractors has similar adjustment links that may fit. I got one and was not too happy with it so fixed the old one.