Added 3rd function with Log Splitter valve

Killer RC

Equipment
1997 M4700DT
Sep 14, 2013
SW Ohio
I just bought this '97 M4700DT 4x4 w/ FEL for $6500 on Craigslist. Had to put a new hyd pump in and new rear brakes, but now she runs good as a new one.
I have a bunch of brush piles I need to clean up and burn, so I bought a Wildkat grapple on Ebay (awesome prices btw). So I had to add a 3rd function hyd control up front. I didn't want to pay $800 for the kits I've seen around. So I got this log splitter valve on Ebay (also available at Tractor Supply) and I pieced together a couple T fittings and some 90 degree elbows and hoses, and this is what I came up with. It works perfectly. The two hoses on top go out to the end of the loader for the grapple hookups. The two hoses on sides connect to the tractors hydraulics. I just put a T fitting where a coupler is on the Power Beyond hose, and then the same thing on the low pressure return line. I have never messed with hydraulics before, but it was easier than I thought it'd be. No leaks. The hardest part is finding all the fittings I wanted. Tractor Supply had most of what I needed. Took about 4 hours to install. Under $250 total.

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
So you Tee'd the Power Beyond line? Generally, all valves in OC (open center) systems need to be added in series and by Tee'ing that adds it in parallel. You maybe find you do have reduced capabilities with this setup since the fluid will want to take the path of least resistance and that will be through the valve your not using.

If I mis-read you post, then please disregard...

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
So you Tee'd the Power Beyond line? Generally, all valves in OC (open center) systems need to be added in series and by Tee'ing that adds it in parallel. You maybe find you do have reduced capabilities with this setup since the fluid will want to take the path of least resistance and that will be through the valve your not using.

If I mis-read you post, then please disregard...
Indeed, the only T that you would need would be on the return to tank.

If you T'd into the power side, you will have pretty much no power in that grapple.

Killer RC

Equipment
1997 M4700DT
Sep 14, 2013
SW Ohio
I see what you're saying, but I've used the grapple and it has plenty of power. Seems to work perfectly. I do have to have the factory rear hyd control lever in the up or down position though for the grapple to work. If the rear hyd lever is in neutral (middle) the grapple won't do anything.

The log splitter valve just has an IN and an OUT , and then two Energy ports. The IN port is connected to the Power Beyond T. The OUT goes to the tank return T. The two Energy ports go to the grapple.

Should the valve go in the middle of the Power Beyond line? Then I wouldn't mess with the return tank line at all?

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
The way its usually done is the new open center valve with a power beyond fitting is installed in line between the loader power beyond and the three point hitch . If its done that way everything will work as it should. The way your doing it you must block the flow by stalling out the 3 pH then pressure is diverted. I'm no expert nut having a valve constantly stalled out don't seem like a wise thing yo do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
KRC, the reason you have to move the rear remote handle is because the new valve is in parallel like I wrote above, and by doing that you are blocking the alternate path the fluid could take back to the sump.

The valve you have is not the correct one for this application. You want one with a optional Power Beyond port.

Here is a thread where I described adding a valve in detail: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11933

Killer RC

Equipment
1997 M4700DT
Sep 14, 2013
SW Ohio
Ok. I doubt I'll ever run the rear and the front hyd at the same time. So I think I could fix the parallel issue by putting a shutoff valve on the T. When Im using the front, shut off the flow to the rear, and when I'm using the rear I could shut off flow to the new valve. Right?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Ok. I doubt I'll ever run the rear and the front hyd at the same time. So I think I could fix the parallel issue by putting a shutoff valve on the T. When Im using the front, shut off the flow to the rear, and when I'm using the rear I could shut off flow to the new valve. Right?

I am not an advocate of that method...those valves are just not rated for the pressure that is sen in the system.

My point of directing you to the other thread was not so you would get the idea of adding shut off valves, but rather adding the proper spool valve and plumb it properly.

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Krc, is the valve your using listed as open center or closed, could you post a link to the exact one you used

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Krc, is the valve your using listed as open center or closed, could you post a link to the exact one you used

It would have to be OC or the system would go into relief as soon as he operated the rear remote. Most generic "log splitter" valves are set to OC since thats what most log splitters use. Often there are plugs available to make them CC.

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I was trying to see if maybe a power beyond conversion was available for your valve but didn't have any luck.
when your ready to do it over the correct way this is a good type of basic valve to start with.
I can tell your determined to find a work around to use what you have , i also have a stubborn gene in my dna. lol
Heres good place to research hydros http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/

Killer RC

Equipment
1997 M4700DT
Sep 14, 2013
SW Ohio
Thanks for looking. No need to spend more money. I'll just do a ball valve on the two outlets of the T. I'll close off whichever Aux I'm not using.