4wd up or down?

hillbilly

Equipment
L1500
Jun 26, 2011
mooresville, n.c.
Hey guys, Im trying to find a manual for my L1500. Im hoping you can help me untill then. I cant tell when Im in 4wd. is it when the lever is up or down?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Don't know about your tractor but mine is in 4wd when the lever is down. You can probably tell by making a tight turn on pavement. The tractor will feel like it is binding or like it is having a hard time turning. If you have ever tried to turn a 4wd pickup on pavement (while in 4wd) it is the same feeling. Hope this helps.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Hooks way is the easiest way, You can also jack up 1 front wheel and with engine shut off(real important for safety) and the tractor in gear turn the jacked up wheel by hand, If it turns by hand the 4 wheel is disengaged , If you can not turn it the 4 wheel is engaged, Other ways are if you have an area of soft sand you can tell, In the soft sand in 2 wheed drive the rear wheels may slip and when the 4wd is engaged the front wheels will pull.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I use an easier but perhaps less safety conscious method. Clutch in, lowest gear, low range, put the loader all the way down to raise the front end off the ground. Ease the clutch out part way - if the front wheels turn when the tractor tries to move its 4wd. Best done on sand or soft dirt.