3 Point Hitch Mounted Splitter

jstarkey

Equipment
B2320
Dec 9, 2012
Templeton, Massachusetts
I'm in the market for a three point hitch mounted wood splitter for my B2320. Anyone have any experience with this one or suggestions? I'm splitting 4 or 5 cords a year for my own use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365528_200365528?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Log%20Splitters-_-1159&ci_sku=1159&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CJ-jupCyjLQCFQ-e4AodLRIAnA

Thanks!

James

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
James
According to the spec's for the splitter you need to limit flow to 3 gpm so check your tractor hydraulic spec's. By limiting tractor rpm you can change flow from tractor significantly.
You can also buy adjustable hydraulic flow control valves from Northern Tool which dump excess flow back to reservoir.

13 tons of splitting force can be low if you have difficult wood.

Dave

Last edited:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
... According to the spec's for the splitter you need to limit flow to 3 gpm so check your tractor hydraulic spec's...
I think the specs on the right is written wrong. As it is said on the left side, the time of a stroke is 29sec/gal, so you get 6sec for 5gpm, I think they mean the tractor requires a minimum 3pgm to work 'efficiently'.

To get a good position for yourself to work with that, you should have the logs on a trailer or 'table'. Otherwise it will kill your back at the end of the day. :(

I would prefer a cross for splitting, but I don't know the size of your fireplace...

Maybe you should add one or two legs at the end. Otherwise it will teeter and make it difficult to control the log.

Looks like a simple but lasting tool. There is no 'hightech' as automatic pull back or speed stroke, so it looks like simple hydraulic, that will just do the job it's built for!

carl

Last edited:

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My neighbor has a 3pt splitter on his Kubota M but I think it is pretty slow. I prefer my self powered splitter. It's not hard to keep a small engine running and the tractor is free for other stuff like lifting and moving logs. I tow the splitter behind the tractor. He runs his with a separate hydro pump off the PTO so he doesn't have to rev the tractor up to keep pressure.

moelkhuntr

Equipment
M7040, Ford 5600, JD 6420
May 6, 2012
SE MO
My experience with a tractor splitter is they are slower and require to much fuel to run them. Have to keep the RPMs up to get the GPM from the hydraulic pump on the tractor. My own opinion but I like the 25 ton splitters up. If you get into elm or apple trees they will make the 25 hump for all it's got. I split roughly 40 to 45 rank a year for me and my dad and have for 30 plus years so that is my experience. We both have outside Hardy wood furnaces. Keep the tractor free to pile brush or pull out logs or lift heavy block or keep the wood shoved up to the splitter.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I would think that a tow along 22 ton (or greater) splitter would be handier... less expensive to run (gas v diesel), runs independant of the tractor- no wear and tear on the tractor, sets up for use so that the tractor can be used for other things- like skidding logs to the bucking area, Briggs & Stratton motors 6.75 HP are cheaper to replace. 5 gallons of unleaded allowed for about 9 cords of wood to be bucked and split and mine can be run from the horizontal or vertical positions. my $.02.

I have a SpeeCo I purchased from a pawn shop for about $650 (like new condition).