2750 Snowblower

lockburner2000

Dec 11, 2012
Bruce WI
Me and the rocks in the driveway keep having problems. I bent the fan again. I do 3 gravel driveways and i set the shoes all the way down to keep the blower up. Looking for options on what a guy can do to help me from bending the fan.

I graded the driveway before winter and rolled it with a 1000lb roller.

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
A couple suggestions that may help.

1. The grade of your gravel can be part of the problem. If you are using Number 2 crusher or stream bed (round stone) they will cause issues due to the size of the aggregate. I top my driveway with either #1 crusher run or with "Driveway Mix" which is a combo of #1 and crusher fines that really pack down and are too small to jam the clearances in the blower (usually...)

2. I find that early in the winter season (first few snowfalls), the blower will really dig in to the drive because the ground has not frozen. So I take great care when blowing, sometime I have to raise the blower on the hydraulics so the skids are off the ground.

3. The best tip I have is if you only get a few inches of snow (3-6 inches), I don't use the blower at all. I just drive the tractor up & down the drive, packing the snow to create a base. This will allow the drive to freeze & harden. Once that happens, I usually don't have any problems.

4 Finally, I set my skids using a 2x4. I lay it under the grading edge of the blower and then adjust the skids to that 1.5" height. Obviously, I don't try to get the blower to take the snow off all the way. You've got to leave a bit.

PS - some blower skids/shoes are too darn narrow and just dig in to your gravel. My old blower had that problem. I had my neighbor weld on larger skid plates to the shoes that were roughly 4" wide and 6" long. Bend the leading edge up at a 45 degree angle so they don't dig. That really worked and allowed the blower to float.

lockburner2000

Dec 11, 2012
Bruce WI
I was thinking of making some bigger skids to help keep it up. And your right the first couple snows is when i have a problem. I leave snow on the drive to pack down and hold the rocks down. The other driveways i do they want 2-3 " of snow removed.

I had a problem with the skids not staying up so i took and welded Square tubing on them so the stay down to keep the blower up.

What do you think of the kits you can get to out on the fan blades to close the gap up. I would thnk if theres no gap for a rock to wedge in it should just toss it out.

The blower works so fast compared to a plow. Dont have all the rework for spilage out each side.