L3130 wont run over 1400 rpms

mixster22

Mar 28, 2012
lake charles la.
working on my L3130 yesterday and suddenly engine would not rev over 1400 rpms (2800 rpm @ full throttle). changed air & fuel filters with no change, still only 1400 rpms. motor idles good with no strange noises or smoke. is this a common problem? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Your throttle controls still feel normal, they're moving the governor arm it's full sweep? With no unusual noises or smoke my first guess would be one of the governor springs broke. Check your diagrams but on my machine I believe you can see both springs by removing the panel on the right side of the engine beneath the injector pump. If not a better visual can be obtained by removing the governor arm plate but that's a bit more work.

mixster22

Mar 28, 2012
lake charles la.
you are the man!!!! I pulled the oil filter flange (the plate under the injection pump) and ther is one spring broken. I dont see anything on my schematics called the governor inspection plate. Could it be the speed control plate? Looks like i need to pull the bolt adjustment assembly to be able to remove the speed control plate. I cant change the broken spring from the oil filter flange. Am i on the right track. THANKS for all your help!