BX FEL plastic edge?

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
Hey all,

With winter here I was trying to decide some options for snow removal. Here in MD we don't get so much snow (although we did get a freak storm last week) that I can justify a dedicated plow blade or snow blower. The FEL works fine for my needs.

the only issue is that even using the "float" feature the FEL tends to leave unsightly scars on my driveway. I was thinking some sort of "plastic" attached to the front blade of the FEL would alleviate this. I am fine with either purchasing something pre-made or even just buying something and cutting it down to size myself. I just don't really even know what would be the best material for this so I figured I'd ask here since I figured someone else besides me has done this.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I purchased the 1"x4"x48" urethane strip from here:

https://www.universalurethane.com/snow-plow.html

Drilled it to mount on the bottom edge of the FEL bucket, secured with recessed carriage bolts. Works like a charm, scrapes the blacktop pretty clean in float mode, leaves no marks. Actually getting ready to bolt it back on for the season.

I've heard of others using a chunk of oak wood, or a strip of composite deck material. Don't know how long those would hold up. Based on my use with the urethane, I don't anticipate having to ever replace it. Seems incredibly tough.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I am not familiar with the bx bucket construction, but my last 2 Kubota L buckets had side plates that extend below the bottom of the bucket. If I push with a level bucket the side plates will gouge pavement. I roll the bucket forward a little to avoid damaging pavement.
Other options yet to be brought up are “Edge Tamers”, and clamp on snow edges (plastic edge). I forget who makes the clamp on, but it’s the same company that makes the “Ratchet Rake”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
I purchased the 1"x4"x48" urethane strip from here:

https://www.universalurethane.com/snow-plow.html

Drilled it to mount on the bottom edge of the FEL bucket, secured with recessed carriage bolts. Works like a charm, scrapes the blacktop pretty clean in float mode, leaves no marks. Actually getting ready to bolt it back on for the season.

I've heard of others using a chunk of oak wood, or a strip of composite deck material. Don't know how long those would hold up. Based on my use with the urethane, I don't anticipate having to ever replace it. Seems incredibly tough.
Thanks. That looked way better than anything I had found. I have one on order.

I am not familiar with the bx bucket construction, but my last 2 Kubota L buckets had side plates that extend below the bottom of the bucket. If I push with a level bucket the side plates will gouge pavement. I roll the bucket forward a little to avoid damaging pavement.
Other options yet to be brought up are “Edge Tamers”, and clamp on snow edges (plastic edge). I forget who makes the clamp on, but it’s the same company that makes the “Ratchet Rake”.

Thanks. I do have edge tamers and they are awesome. However I have found for snow I run into 2 issues. First is that while they don't gouge the driveway, I still get 2 lines where they glide down the driveway. Metal vs asphalt, metal wins. Also since they are just on the side I don't actually get all of the snow off as it leaves a 1/2 in or so layer since the rest of the blade isn't flush with the ground.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The link that dalola posted is the same company that I got my 1.5” x 6” x 84” polyurethane edge from, but on their ebay store. I use it on a rear blade though. I expect to get many years of service out of it, and may add one to my ssqa front blade.