G5200 Rear Axle seal replacement..how to?

73blazer

Equipment
G5200 w/46" Snow Blower,blade,debris blower;,L35;G1800S
Feb 16, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Has anyone got a G-Series they've replaced a rear axle seal on?

I've run this little G-tractor for a couple winters now...she's been doing awesome, replaced all fluids, filters, front bearings, front axle pivot bearings, steering box when I first got it...been an awesome little tractor, I even found a dead one with the hydro 3pt and hydro front lift, so I have full hydraulics on this, been a great tractor...I love it....blew thru this weeks 14" of snow like it wasn't even there..but...I parked it after doing several 300' drives and half the road in between, came out this morning and all the fluids on the garage floor. At least it happened while it wasn't out somewhere in the woods or someone elses drive, these things are a PITA to move dead. It already leaked a little, if you let it sit for a week or 2, there'd be a little on the floor, I could never really tell where it was coming from, well, I didn't really look that hard....I'm guessing it loaded up with ice and snow and froze this past week while working hard, and then melted off in the garage and took what was left of the seal with it.

My question is, looking at the WSM and hte parts diagram, it's not clear exactly how this can come apart, the WSM doesn't detail that procedure by itself, only in the larger context of bench dissassembly and assembly the axle/transmission assembly while out of the tractor.

It looks like I can unbolt the differential cover from the left side wihle it's in the tractor, but not sure what that's going to leave me, will I have enough room to disconnect the circlip and pull the axle out?

Anyone done an axle seal on these G-series?

(Click pic for large version)
G-series-axle.jpg

Last edited:

73blazer

Equipment
Feb 16, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Well, I answered my own question.

Yes, you can service these in the tractor. It's not pretty, but nothing real difficult about it.

If you have the 3pt and rear PTO, which I do, you will have to remove it. The rear PTO drive shaft and the 3pt lower left bracket where the arm attaches is in the way of pulling out the axle assembly. But, most of that is just unbolting stuff, nothing tricky.

Once the 3pt and PTO assembly is gone, drain your entire transaxle assembly...then simply unbolt the several 14mm bolts around the left axle, and pull that out,remove the circlip, press the axle out of it's bearing and the axle will come out. FOr right side, pull the differential assembly out from the left, then push the axle all the way in from the right, then reach in from the left side and remove the circlip. Then using a piece of wood on the end of a long 3/4" ratchet extention I beat the axle out of it's bearing on that side and then you can remove the $3 seal. Be careful of the axle shims in the housing...

Quite a bit of work for a simple seal, but...hey, not gonna trash this little tractor for a seal. I'm not sure they really go bad often, but....when I bought this one, I remember there was some chickenwire and rope wrapped around the axle stubs between the hub and seal, and I think that ate into it. I think they were drivin that around for a while like that.

But, nothing real difficult. Now, I just need some new seals, and I can put it back together!

And don't anyone ever be fooled by this being a "garden" tractor. This thing is built. I pulled the differential assembly out of it's giant cast iron housing and was shocked, it's a 6.5" ring gear! I've worked on cars with smaller differentials. I've pulled apart some other "garden" tractors with pressed together stamped differential housings and 2" "ring" gear, if you can call it that, looked more like a thicker machined washer. These G-series are quite different...they are built very well, and serviceable!

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for posting your results. I've always wanted one of these bad ass little guys, just never found one in that perfect balance between condition & price.

73blazer

Equipment
Feb 16, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I got my axle gasket and 2 seals today. Put her all back together.
For some reason, it went together far easier than it came apart, probably because I wasn't freezing! When I took it apart it was -10 outside, I have a partially insulated garage with a couple spot heaters that had it up to about 40, but at -10 and only being 40 for a little while...everything's cold, tools are cold, metals cold, ... today is 34 and running the heaters was 55 in the garage, much nicer!

Goes back together just like it came apart, you will need a long piece of pvc or conduit or something, I used a pvc reducer kinda as a washer and then a piece of 1.5" PVC to press the bearings back onto the axle. Other than that, it's a simple matter..nothing special
I'm still in awe of the size of these components for a garden tractor, it's no wonder they last as long as they do! The axle and pinion bearings are the size of the truck transmissions bearings that I've been into and I've rebuilt!

Kinda of alot of work for a seal, they way they put it together is kinda weird, but hey..it's just time right,parts were only $40 or so, most of it in the gasket, no idea why that gasket is $27, probably could have used RTV just as well, ... my little baby is back running again, and no leaks!