L3901 dies suddenly

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My L3901 HST has started dying suddenly on me. Occasionally I get the engine rpms surging, but most of the time it is like I turned it off with the key. When this happens, I hear no clicking from the fuel pump.

When it is running properly, and I shut it off via the key, I hear the fuel pump clicking for 10-15 seconds, and then it stops.

I have emptied the fuel/water separator, replaced its screen and o-ring, and replaced the fuel filter.

I'm thinking the next step it to have the dealer look at it, unless there is something else I should try first.

Another note that may assist with the troubleshooting - this does not usually happen until the tractor has run continuously for an hour or more. I have been moving a lot of dirt via the loader, so the engine is up around 2200 rpm. Don't remember the last time the tractor went through a regen cycle.

The tractor has 150 hours on it. Oil and all filters were changed at 50 hours. The fuel filter was changed again (as mentioned above) in the last 5 hours.

I live in SE Georgia, so the weather is very temperate - have been using the tractor in 50-70F when this has been happening.
My first thiught is a flakey safety switch - most notably OPC. It will shut it off like you turned off the key.

Fuel pump continuing to run is normal.

Dan

Aufruhrer

Equipment
L3901
Oct 16, 2023
Alabama
I had the same problem. I checked everything and used all my curse words. Finally, I just pulled every fuse, looked at them, blew on them and put them back. The tractor worked, immediately. This fix makes ZERO sense to me, but I'll take it.
The problem resurfaced. Final solution = new ignition switch. I can now see the ground in my fields, again. 😎

Linstrum

Premium Member

Equipment
L3400HST with BH76 backhoe, L2501HST, B7100HST, B7100DT, all with fel's. Cat D4D
Sep 2, 2023
Alamogordo, New Mexico
"The problem resurfaced. Final solution = new ignition switch. I can now see the ground in my fields, again. 😎"

Hey, Aufrührer, I hope that solves the problem. Problems that are intermittent are the worst kind.

Thanks for letting us know what you did. A lot of the time, people who ask for help never let us know how things turned out. Why that's important is because how somebody solved a problem could very likely help the next guy with the same kind of problem.

So, you are a Rebel. Cool!